Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe has told three players to be ‘patient’ after they failed to appear during the Aston Villa draw.
The Magpies’ head coach has been active in the transfer market this summer, with four new signings coming through the doors at St James’ Park. However, there were barely any changes to Eddie Howe’s starting XI for the first game of the Premier League season.
Anthony Elanga was the only new signing in Newcastle United’s starting XI for the goalless draw against Aston Villa, despite the likes of Aaron Ramsdale and Malick Thiaw being available.
Nick Pope was favoured over Ramsdale, while Dan Burn and Fabian Schar played ahead of Thiaw. The two centre-backs played terrifically against Villa, keeping a clean sheet at a ground the Magpies have tended to struggle at in the past.
Burn and Schar will likely start against Liverpool on Monday, meaning Thiaw will have to wait for his first competitive game for Newcastle after signing earlier in August.
With Thiaw waiting for his debut, Howe has commented on the involvement of the German and two other Newcastle players.
Malick Thiaw hugs a Newcastle United player during a training session.
Photo by Harriet Massey/Newcastle United via Getty Images
Eddie Howe tells Newcastle United defenders to be patient this season
Burn and Schar were an unbreakable defensive partnership at times, with the pair having a natural chemistry which could not be stopped by some of the best clubs in the league.
It looks as though the partnership will be present for the foreseeable future, with Howe seemingly waiting for Thiaw to become more accustomed to his style of football, while Sven Botman and Jamaal Lascelles will also need to wait their turn to play.
MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES
Botman is a likely long-term replacement for Burn, but it remains to be seen when he will get his moment to return to the starting lineup.
“Fabian and Dan were excellent against Aston Villa”, Howe said in his pre-match press conference.
“Defending, leading, organising – making sure that we concentrated throughout the game, it would have been very easy for one slip to cost us. I thought we looked really good in that respect.
“Sven, Malick and Jamaal are all outstanding players individually and will give us a lot this year but when you’re not in the team you have to be patient, train really well so when you do get your opportunity you can grab it.”
Eddie Howe on his defensive options:
"Fabian and Dan were excellent against Aston Villa. Defending, leading, organising – making sure that we concentrated throughout the game, it would have been very easy for one slip to cost us. I thought we looked really good in that respect.… pic.twitter.com/dJgbu0oMPD
— Newcastle United (@NUFC) August 22, 2025
View Tweet
Lascelles is well recognised as a pioneer at Newcastle, having captained the club back in to the Premier League at just 22, to lifting the Carabao Cup at Wembley in March.
The 31-year-old has not played a competitive game for Newcastle since March 2024 due to injury, but he has since recovered and took part in several pre-season games.
Reports earlier this week suggested Newcastle were not ruling out Lascelles’ sale. However, Howe’s name-dropping the defender and saying he will have a big year could mean he is more than happy to keep him around for another year.
Lascelles is seen as the fifth-choice defender now Thiaw has arrived at the club, but with a busy season on the horizon, Newcastle need all the players they can take.
The winter months will be harsh with Champions League football and cup competitions in the pipeline, so keeping Lascelles should not be given a second thought.