express.co.uk

Gary Lineker sends three-word message to Alexander Isak ahead of Liverpool visit

As matters stand, he is reportedly refusing to ever represent the Magpies again, having missed their Premier League curtain-raiser against Aston Villa last weekend. The 25-year-old also broke his silence on Tuesday via Instagram, alleging his club had reneged on promises while suggesting his departure would be the optimal solution.

With Newcastle preparing to welcome Liverpool in Premier League action on Monday night, questions have emerged over whether Isak will be present at St James' Park to watch the clash. However, Lineker is convinced there's absolutely no chance of that happening.

Speaking on The Rest Is Football, Lineker said: "The fixture list sometimes does this beautifully doesn't it? Newcastle vs Liverpool. Of course it is." To which Alan Shearer responded: "Monday night, I'll be at the match as well."

When Lineker asked if he thought Isak would be present, Shearer replied: "No, do you?" The former Match of the Day host said: "Not a chance," before bursting into laughter. Explaining that Isak's transfer saga will only heighten the tension during the match, Shearer added: "It'll be an incredible atmosphere. It's a bit tasty anyway, Newcastle Liverpool, so it's a bit of added spice I think, don't you?"

Lineker then joked: "Why don't you do a swap deal, for [Hugo] Ekitike? Just to stir things up a bit. Sorry, but you've got to try to see the funny side of these things, especially for fans, and you are a fan of Newcastle. I mean, it's just brutal."

Newcastle had also shown interest in Eintracht Frankfurt sensation Ekitike this summer, before Liverpool outmanoeuvred them with a £79m move. The striker has made a strong start at his new club, scoring in Liverpool's Community Shield match against Crystal Palace, as well as their 4-2 Premier League opening day victory over Bournemouth last Friday.

While Liverpool have not yet returned with a better offer for Isak, it is believed they may do so before the transfer window closes on September 1. But only if Newcastle can show some flexibility on their reported £150m valuation of their star player.

The Magpies continue to grapple with their own challenges in securing a reliable No. 9 to replace Isak. Earlier this week, Brentford turned down a £40m offer from the club for Yoane Wissa, and while a second attempt hasn't been dismissed, it seems they're also eyeing Wolves' centre-forward, Jorgen Strand Larsen.

Wolves are keen to keep hold of the 25-year-old, but an offer in the region of £60m could sway them. Regardless, Eddie Howe will likely have to resort to a stand-in striker once again for the match against Liverpool.

Read full news in source page