nufcblog.co.uk

Howe drops first clear hint on Alexander Isak exit talks & reveals his only route back

![](https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2025/08/Isakhow-1-752x440.png)

Eddie Howe has indicated for the very first time when Alexander Isak held discussions over his future at Newcastle United.

Speaking to the media this morning, Howe was asked if conversations had taken place between him and the striker before the end of last season, and the boss did confirm that talks had taken place prior to the summer.

_“Me and Alex had conversations towards the end of the season. Yes, I am not going to sit here and deny that. Yes, we had discussions about his future.”_

Pressed for more by [Lee Ryder](https://x.com/lee_ryder/status/1958821810792730673) of The Chronicle, Howe added: _“I have always said that individual conversations are better off remaining private.”_

While details are left out, quite rightfully, this all but confirms Isak was angling for a move before the 2024/25 season ended.

Liverpool fans will read this and say “see, he told you months ago”, but that only means so much. Newcastle may have known, but we have always needed TWO strikers to sanction his exit and an offer that meets our valuation, yet the only bid so far is a £110m offer falling well below our reported £150m valuation.

Isak signed a contract back in 2022, becoming one of our highest paid players and including no release clause, so his right to suddenly demand a transfer holds limited weight until  it works for the club. And so far, it does not for the reasons given above

Howe then continued, discussing what needs to happen if Isak is to play for the club again, also assessing whether he can be forgiven by a fanbase feeling let down and frustrated by his recent actions:

> _“If Alex is to play for Newcastle again, he has to be totally committed. It can’t work any other way. Any player steps out on the pitch, has to give their all for Newcastle United.”_

>

> _“The relationship between our fans and Isak can still be good. The fans will always react to the way a player plays”._

>

> _“There is always two sides to a story. We will see where we are in a week’s time. I hope I can work with him again”._

A strong message from Howe in the opening line and it feels like the right one; there is a route back, but he’ll only play for the club again if he is “totally committed” and ready to give his all again. This is a non-negotiable for Howe and Isak won’t escape that requirement, no matter how talented he is.

It would be nice if the topic of conversation was away from a certain sulking striker and back to matters on the pitch now the season has started, but the ongoing saga is a huge one and impossible to avoid after Tuesday night’s statements.

Let’s hope we can do our talking on the pitch on Monday night and remind everyone how good we are; with or without our star striker.

Read full news in source page