geordiebootboys.com

'Important story': Fabrizio Romano drops fresh update on Newcastle United's interest in Nicolas …

Fabrizio Romano has shared what he has been told about Newcastle United’s interest in Chelsea forward Nicolas Jackson.

With Alexander Isak still unavailable due to the ongoing transfer saga, the Magpies are set to line up with Anthony Gordon as their starting striker for the highly anticipated game against Liverpool at St James’ Park.

While Gordon expected to become a striker eventually, the move has come at a point where he is still more than capable of playing as a winger. Isak remains away from the first team, so Newcastle United must sign a natural No.9 for the future, as well as to replace Callum Wilson, who was released this summer.

After missing out on players like Joao Pedro, Hugo Ekitike and Benjamin Sesko, Newcastle are now interested in Chelsea’s Nicolas Jackson, who has been informed that he can leave the Blues this summer.

Newcastle have ‘reservations’ over Jackson, with his form somewhat questionable since joining Chelsea in 2023.

Aston Villa are interested in Jackson, with Unai Emery a big fan of the Senegal international. However, Fabrizio Romano has provided an interesting transfer update which suggests his next move is still up in the air.

Nicolas Jackson looks on during a Premier League game between Manchester City and Chelsea.

Photo by Carl Recine/Getty Images

Newcastle United remain keen on signing Nicolas Jackson

With Liam Delap and Pedro joining Chelsea, Jackson has been informed by Enzo Maresca that he is no longer part of his plans. He has no intention of playing the 24-year-old now that he has two new strikers at his disposal.

Villa will struggle for Jackson’s signature this summer due to their PSR issues, which saw them reluctantly sell Jacob Ramsey to Newcastle earlier this month. However, a loan deal could still be possible.

MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES

With Newcastle still searching for a striker, Romano has stated that the Magpies are still at the table for Jackson.

“Nicolas Jackson, he’s still fully expected to part ways with Chelsea,” he said.

“From the players’ side and the club’s side, it is the best moment to try something different, and for Nicolas

“There have been several clubs calling in the recent hours. Among these clubs, we have to consider Aston Villa. Aston Villa have been trying to push; they made contact with all parties involved in the recent hours. Unai Emery was the coach of Jackson at Villareal a few years ago, so Villa pushing to get Nicolas Jackson.

“But more clubs are pushing for Jackson. Newcastle are still there, Newcastle are still interested in Jackson, and that’s going to be an important story to follow for the strikers topic. For Newcastle, he remains one of the main (targets) for the final days of the transfer window.”

Newcastle United are desperate for a striker this summer

In his pre-Liverpool press conference, Howe admitted that Newcastle were not close to any deals. The 47-year-old also mentioned that a replacement for Wilson is currently the priority.

Reports on Thursday stated that Newcastle are in talks for Wolves’ striker Jorgen Strand Larsen, but it does not look as though a deal will be done in time for the Liverpool game.

The hope is that a new striker can be signed this summer, and Isak can return to first-team action, so Howe’s recruitment team will be hard at work to try and find someone who can fit the bill for the Toon boss and ensure he does not have to use unproven players or other stars out of position until January.

There is just over a week left in the transfer window, and recent deals elsewhere have proven that talks can be held and finalised in no time. Fans will hope that Newcastle can get someone in before the window closes, whether it is Yoane Wissa, Jackson or Strand Larsen.

In such an important season, Newcastle cannot be left without a quality striker leading the line.

Read full news in source page