newcastleworld.com

Deja vu - Liverpool facing familiar injury crisis against Newcastle United

Liverpool injury news ahead of Monday’s Premier League clash against Newcastle United.

Newcastle versus Liverpool has long been recognised as a Premier League classic but Monday night has the potential to eclipse ties that have fallen before.

The ongoing Alexander Isak saga has created a huge tension between both clubs, and that is expected to result in a feisty and high-tempered affair under the lights at St James’ Park.

Liverpool could be without a recognised vs Newcastle United... again

Isak’s refusal to train or play with his teammates means the Magpies are currently without a recognised striker, with Anthony Gordon again in line to lead the line, like he did during the goalless draw at Aston Villa last Saturday.

Meanwhile, Liverpool could find themselves without a recognised right-back, and not for the first time against Newcastle.

Jarell Quansah, sold to Bayer Leverkusen last month, started last season’s 3-3 draw at St James’ Park and the Carabao Cup final out of position at right-back.

Trent Alexander-Arnold was only used as a substitute in the St James’ Park game before missing in the cup final at Wembley due to injury. On both those occasions, Conor Bradley was sidelined.

After Alexander-Arnold made the switch to Real Madrid, Liverpool signed Jeremie Frimpong from Bayer Leverkusen to replace him. However, after picking up a hamstring issue in their Premier League opener against AFC Bournemouth, the Dutchman has been ruled out until after the international break.

That leaves Bradley as the only right-back available. But the Northern Ireland international has only just returned to training, casting doubt over his ability to start the game.

Arne Slot provides Liverpool injury update ahead of Newcastle United clash

Slot explained: “Conor trained for a few minutes with us today for the first time, and the medical team was completely right about Jeremie, to tell me that I had to take him off because he's out until the end of the international break.

“So I think I got criticised a bit by taking him off, didn't I? And I've already said immediately after the game, it had nothing to do with how we played, but we felt that he had an issue in his hamstring.

“And with we, I don't mean me, but the medical staff were completely right, so we could call to take him off, otherwise he would have maybe been out for longer. We expect to have him back after the international break.”

Who could start for Liverpool at right-back vs Newcastle United?

Slot, however, is not concerned by the right-backsituation, naming three players who can slot into the position.

The Dutchman said: “Jeremy has a very positive injury record. Conor has been out once or twice last season. Yeah, these things happen in a season.

“We only have, at the moment, two injuries, and unfortunately, it's two for the same position. But the good thing is that some other players can play in that position as well. Wata [Wataru Endo] played in that position for a few minutes, Dominik Szoboszlai has already played in that position, so there are other options we can explore.

Read More

“Joe Gomez is definitely one of them, but for him to already play 20 minutes, that was already quite a lot. I wouldn't say he had a setback, but he wasn't able to train three days in a row completely with the team, which is completely normal if you're out for so long and all of a sudden the manager needs you for 20 minutes. But he's training with the team, so let's see where he is on Monday, if he can be involved in the team or if he can even start.

“But there are other options we have as well in this position. You cannot prepare for two injuries in one position. It would be stupid for us to have three full-backs or five left-backs, although we have three left-backs at the moment! So we're unlucky that the right full-backs are injured.”

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page