AC Milan worked to sign Manchester United’s Rasmus Højlund this summer and their technical director, Igli Tare, even held talks with the Red Devils in England.
The striker was reluctant and then changed his stance, as long as there’s an obligation to buy as part of loan deal. Milan wanted an option to buy, and Napoli have entered the race recently
Two days ago, we covered claims from Italy that Milan want to push forward to sign the 22-year-old on loan with an obligation to buy. Since then, they made advances to sign Bayer Leverkusen’s Victor Boniface, who has arrived in Italy for medical.
With Milan out of the race, the focus is currently on the Naples club. Saturday’s edition of Gazzetta dello Sport brings the latest episode of the ongoing saga around the Manchester United player’s future.
Antonio Conte will be without Romelu Lukaku for a while after he suffered an injury last week. This has forced the Serie A winners to look for a striker and the focus is on Højlund, who is their priority target.
Napoli sporting director Giovanni Manna is said to be on call with Manchester United daily. Their plan is to sign him on loan with an option to buy and ‘Manchester United said yes’ to Napoli. They need to convince the former Atalanta man to complete this operation.
Gazzetta reports the Italian champions are moving forward by raising the salary to €4.5m net per year. This is done so that Højlund accepts a loan with a purchase option instead of an obligation.
They state: ‘Napoli reiterated to Højlund that they consider him crucial this season, where there will be games every three days between the league and the Champions League, to defend the Scudetto and play a leading role in Europe. And a showcase like this, come what may, can’t be ignored.’
It’s now down to the Manchester United player to decide whether or not to accept it.
There’s been several claims in Italy around Højlund’s exit and the concrete ones, [not that there’s many], tend to get lost at times.