geordiebootboys.com

'Why do you': Georginio Wijnaldum wants no part of Newcastle United and Alexander Isak saga

Georginio Wijnaldum has been forced to respond after old quotes resurfaced before he left Newcastle United.

It is a transfer saga which has lasted the entire summer, and one which took centre stage at Eddie Howe’s latest press conference.

Alexander Isak has informed the Magpies of his intention to leave Newcastle United this summer, and is currently refusing to play until he gets that move.

On Tuesday, Isak released a statement saying promises between him and the club had been broken, and that he could no longer trust figures within Newcastle. In turn, Newcastle released their own statement saying Isak would not be sold this summer.

Liverpool are interested in Isak, though they have already seen a £110m bid rejected by Newcastle this summer. With just over a week left in the transfer window, former Toon star Georginio Wijnaldum has been forced to speak out about the transfer saga.

Newcastle United Unveil New Signing Georginio Wijnaldum

Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images

Georginio Wijnaldum says not to involve him in the Alexander Isak transfer saga

Wijnaldum was the last player to join Liverpool from Newcastle, though the finances involved in that deal are significantly less than what the Magpies want for Isak.

The Dutchman joined Liverpool for £25m in 2016 following Newcastle’s relegation to the Championship. Wijnaldum’s move to Merseyside proved to be a great one, as he won the Premier League and Champions League alongside other trophies.

However, Wijnaldum has been forced to respond on Instagram after ESPN recirculated comments from him before he left for Liverpool nearly 10 years ago.

MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES

“This is something I said almost 10 years ago before my move to Liverpool,” he said.

“Why do you post it like it’s my opinion about Isak his decision? This is something between Isak and Newcastle/Liverpool, please keep me out of it. Thank you.”

Alexander Isak should learn from Georginio Wijnaldum despite his stance

Wijnaldum was one of Newcastle’s best players in the 2015/16 season, registering 16 goal involvements in his only campaign with the club.

While Isak is trying to force his way out of Newcastle, it is the Magpies who hold the cards, as Isak has three years left on his current deal.

Whatever happens, Isak needs to take a leaf out of Wijnaldum’s book. He did not force the move away, and seemed fully prepared to play in the Championship with Newcastle if the move did not come off.

It is a shame that he only played one season with the Magpies, as his major honours after leaving were a reflection on how good a player Newcastle had.

While they hold the advantage, Newcastle still want to sign a striker this summer to replace Callum Wilson.

Read full news in source page