dailyecho.co.uk

'A couple of things' - Still details transfer wishlist after Everton's Dibling bid

Dibling, 19, will soon have his medical with the Toffees ahead of completing a big-money transfer to the Premier League side worth over £40million.

Saints lacked creative spark in their 2-1 defeat to Championship leaders Stoke City at St Mary's, despite having a man advantage for over 30 minutes.

Taylor Harwood-Bellis scored a header, but it was not enough to spark a comeback following goals from Lewis Baker and Sorba Thomas.

With another forward out of the door, Still said: "I think we still need a couple of things. I think a number 10 has been a question since the start.

Tyler Dibling here! 😇#SaintsFC pic.twitter.com/pVsBSFFlht

— Alfie House (@AlfieHouseEcho) August 22, 2025

"We also need a bit more creativity from the outside with one or a few wingers that can, like they (Stoke) did, have one opportunity and stick it in the back of the net.

"That is what we're working towards, but it takes a bit of time. We're working on it, but you obviously need people to leave the building as well.

"The squad is still the size that it is, and we need to keep working on that. So again, it's a work in progress. We know how long is left in the window.

"I think everyone's been clear on it and everyone's aligned on it. I know everyone knows what we need; it's just now a question of getting it done."

Asked if any incomings are imminent, Still gave a coy response, saying: "I don't know. There might be a few things.

"But we're very conscious of what it needs and what it looks like, and I think today was again a prime example of that."

On dipping into the loan market, he added: "Whatever it takes to get stuff done and get the right people and the right players in will do what it needs."

Mads Roerslev during the Championship match between Southampton and Stoke City.Mads Roerslev during the Championship match between Southampton and Stoke City. (Image: Stuart Martin.)

Saints added Danish full-back Mads Roerslev from Brentford ahead of facing Stoke, opening the door for Yukinari Sugawara to leave.

The Japan international was left out of Southampton's squad against the Potters, while new signing Roerslev made his debut in the second half.

Still named Sugawara as the player he suggested had been told to join a club in Europe's top five division club by their national team manager.

He said: "He's been told that he needs to be in the top five leagues to get anywhere with his national team. That was another factor; there are a few."

Read full news in source page