Jadon Sancho remains a Manchester United player after turning down a move to Serie A outfit AS Roma.
After a season-long loan at Chelsea, Jadon Sancho returned to Manchester United in search of a new club because the winger doesn’t have a future at Old Trafford.
Chelsea were obligated to buy Sancho for £25 million before that deal collapsed, with the Blues opting to pay a £5 million penalty clause rather than signing him permanently.
As a result, Sancho has been waiting on the sidelines since July to complete a move away from United, but so far, nothing has materialised.
Sancho has attracted interest from Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Italy this summer.
Jadon Sancho walks off the pitch looking dejected
Photo by David Rogers/Getty Images
Roma pull out of race to sign Jadon Sancho
It has been well documented that Roma were keen to sign Sancho before the transfer window shut, after making an initial offer reportedly worth £20m, which would ensure a permanent transfer away from Old Trafford.
Roma attempted to strike a deal for Sancho, until the winger rejected their proposal to create even more uncertainty over his future at United.
Ahead of Roma’s first game of the season, which they won 1-0 against Bologna, the club’s sporting director spoke about their failed pursuit of Sancho.
More United News
Speaking to Sky Sport, as quoted by Gianluca Di Marzio, Frederic Massara expressed his admiration for Sancho before admitting they have given up on the England international and moved on to other targets.
“He’s [Sancho] a strong player who’s been linked to all the top Italian teams,” Massara said. “I don’t think the conditions or motivation are right to move forward with the deal.
“We know we need to complete the squad, and we’ll do so in line with our project. Gasperini has done extraordinary things, and we hope he can do the same in Rome, even with the predominantly young squad.”
Massara also commented on dealing with football agents, which may give some insight into their dealings with Sancho’s entourage.
He added: “Today, agents are key players in the transfer market. It’s difficult to change these dynamics; they’ve acquired enormous weight and sometimes influence negotiations, leading to a positive or negative outcome. They need to be managed with the understanding that the team’s priorities are paramount.”
Relationship completely broken between Sancho and Man Utd
It comes as a surprise that Sancho has turned down advances to join Roma when there has not been many offers from other clubs.
Sancho, 25, has seen his stock fall to an all-time low, and there is a chance he won’t get a move away from Old Trafford this summer.
What happens next is anyone’s guess, but United have a problem to address because he remains one of the club’s highest-paid players.
Respected journalist Fabrizio Romano has provided an update on Sancho, stressing that the relationship remains completely broken with his present club.
“For Sancho, the message from United remains the same. No chance to return in the squad,” Romano said.
“Sancho doesn’t even want to retire in the squad, so the relationship remains completely broken between Man Utd and Sancho.
“On the Roma deal, for Man Utd, it’s very clear. Man Utd would take the offer from Roma. It’s already clear since more than one week ago. £20 million, loan with obligation for United is okay. United would take that money and let the player go.
“It’s the player who said no on Monday, and at the moment, the player is still not giving any different indication about that. If Sancho decides to reopen talks with Roma, we will be here to let you know in the next days. As of today, Sancho is still not accepting, not opening doors to Roma move.
“So, let’s see what’s going to happen there, but Sancho remains one of the players who have to leave Manchester United in these final days of the summer transfer window, because the relationship with Manchester United,is completely broken.”