Newcastle United target Nicolas Jackson has made an off-field gesture similar to Brentford’s Yoane Wissa, who is pushing for a move away.
The Magpies are hoping to sign a striker this summer, but time is running out for a deal to be done.
Newcastle United are heading into a highly anticipated game against Liverpool without Alexander Isak, their star striker, due to his ongoing intentions to leave the club this summer. His stance means that an alternative must be signed, with Anthony Gordon likely to fill in for the Swedish star on Monday evening.
Reports have stated that Newcastle are interested in Chelsea’s Nicolas Jackson, a forward who is free to leave the Blues after the signings of Joao Pedro and Liam Delap. Newcastle have their reservations over Jackson, with his discipline being a major talking point, but he is still an attractive option in a difficult transfer market.
Aston Villa are in talks with Jackson over a move, but their PSR position means that a loan deal would be ideal for them. Additionally, a recent report stated another ‘big club’ are in talks with Jackson, so Newcastle are up against them.
While searching for his next move, Jackson has made a move off the pitch which is similar to that of Yoane Wissa, who Newcastle are seriously interested in.
Nicolas Jackson takes part in a Chelsea training session.
Photo by Darren Walsh/Chelsea FC via Getty Images
Nicolas Jackson blanks out social media page amid Newcastle United links
Jackson could cost Newcastle as little as £50m, but with no bid made for the player, there is no word on how much he will go for.
Wissa is another option for Newcastle, and the striker is clearly pushing for a move. It has been said that Wissa is ‘desperate’ to join Newcastle, but recent approaches have been rejected.
MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES
The DR Congo international was missing from the Brentford squad for their win against Aston Villa on Saturday, as was Jackson for Chelsea’s win against West Ham. Wissa removed all mention of Brentford on social media, and Jackson has followed suit, by changing his Instagram profile picture to a plain black image.
The decision suggests he is done with Chelsea and is now ready for his move away from the Blues this summer. At 24, there is still so much Jackson can give in his career, and he is clearly hoping a club takes a chance on him before the transfer window closes.
What Enzo Maresca has said about Nicolas Jackson’s future at Chelsea
While there are doubts about his ability, Jackson still registered 15 goal involvements in the Premier League last season to help the Blues finish fourth and qualify for the Champions League.
Jackson also helped Chelsea win the Conference League and Club World Cup earlier this year, so whichever club he joins will have someone with recent experience of winning trophies.
It is clear that Jackson has no future at Chelsea, which has effectively been confirmed by Enzo Maresca.
“As we already said, we have two strikers,” he said.
“And also we know that something can happen before the transfer window closes.
“If they are going to be here, they will be with us. If not, it means they found a solution. I think it’s better if they find a solution because they are going to be more happy.”