liverpoolecho.co.uk

Oliver Glasner admits Marc Guehi to Liverpool transfer'worry'as replacement jibe sent

Liverpool transfer news as Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner provides update on Marc Guehi

Oliver Glasner Manager of Crystal Palace points out instructions to Marc Guehi

Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner and captain Marc Guehi, who has attracted Liverpool's interest

(Image: Crystal Pix/MB Media/Getty Images)

Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner admits he is worried the club will not be able to find a suitable replacement for Liverpool-linked defender Marc Guehi. Liverpool have already opened talks with Crystal Palace over the transfer of Marc Guehi as they aim to bolster Arne Slot's defence before the summer transfer window closes.

Liverpool have two options when it comes to Guehi - they could strike an agreement with their Premier League rivals and sign him this summer, or they could wait until next year when the central defender's contract expires and he will be available for free. It is believed Palace are currently asking for more than what the Reds are willing to pay but there are eight days left of the window to test their resolve.

Standing in Liverpool's way appears to be Glasner, who is not keen for the size of his squad to reduce any further.

Guehi's links to an Anfield switch come as Palace have just sold star attacker Eberechi Eze to Arsenal for £67.5m. Three others have left as free agents, meanwhile the Eagles have spent barely £2m this summer with two new arrivals supplementing Glasner's FA Cup-winning squad, who will have to juggle Premier League duties with the UEFA Europa Conference League this season.

"I am worried about Crystal Palace if we are losing players and we don’t get the right ones in," the manager told BBC Sport ahead of his side's match against Nottingham Forest at Selhurst Park. "It is my duty as manager to tell the owners what we have to do to be competitive and stay on our pathway."

However, while showing that resistance to allowing his captain's departure, Glasner was able to come up with a tongue-in-cheek plan in the event he is unable to prevent it.

He added: "If Marc leaves, I will try my boots because I was a centre-back and this could be a good option."

The 50-year-old enjoyed a 12-year career in which he made almost 600 appearances for Austrian outfit SV Reid, then finished his playing days with LASK.

Liverpool had already been warned by the Palace boss that any attempt to sign Guehi this summer would go down to the wire as he wants the defender available for this coming Thursday's Conference League qualifying return leg against Norwegian side Fredrikstad.

The Eagles earned a 1-0 advantage from the first leg at Selhurst Park, which Guehi started. Afterwards Glasner said: "I just know if Marc leaves and is not available for Frederikstad, we will have big troubles. That's pretty clear. We can't register anyone. So from my side, he has to stay."

All along Liverpool have been happy to play a waiting game and would easily accept only landing their target next year if it means they get him for free.

Content Image

Content Image

For the latest news and breaking news, visit liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/liverpool-fc. Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.

Follow us on Twitter @‌LivEchoLFC - the official Liverpool ECHO LFC Twitter account - for all the latest LFC news as it happens in real time.

We're also on Facebook/LiverpoolEchoLFC - your must-see LFC news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day from the Liverpool ECHO.

Listen to our podcasts by searching for 'Blood Red' wherever you get your podcasts.

Sign up for one of the Liverpool Echo's free daily and weekly newsletters on Liverpool FC by clicking here.

Read full news in source page