All the latest Liverpool FC news ahead of the Reds' clash against Newcastle United at St James' Park
Alexander Isak of Newcastle United (14) arrives for the Premier League match between Newcastle United FC and Chelsea FC at St James' Park on May 11, 2025 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Alexander Isak arrives at St James' Park for Newcastle United clash(Image: Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images)
As many as five players could miss this evening's clash in Tyneside. Liverpool will lock horns with Newcastle United at St. James' Park on Monday night as they each look to climb the Premier League table.
The Reds cruised to victory against Bournemouth at Anfield on the opening day of the new season. Arne Slot's side enjoyed a 4-2 win over the Cherries, with Federico Chiesa and Mohamed Salah finding the net in the final minutes to snatch three points.
Meanwhile, the Magpies were held to a goalless draw by Aston Villa. With Alexander Isak essentially on strike as he looks to force a move to Liverpool, Anthony Gordon led the frontline for Eddie Howe's side.
While the Reds may fancy their chances, Newcastle will be determined to show their wantaway striker what he's missing out on. Unfortunately, though, as many as five players could miss this evening's clash.
Content Image
Content Image
Last weekend, Jeremie Frimpong suffered a hamstring injury during Liverpool's clash against Bournemouth. The 24-year-old defender, whom the Reds signed from Bayer Leverkusen for £29.5m earlier in the summer, was forced to come off after an hour.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Slot announced that Frimpong will be out for a few weeks. The Liverpool boss said: "The medical team was completely right about Jeremie to tell me that I had to take him off, because he is out until the end of the international break, and that happened in the game.
"I already said immediately after the game that it had nothing to do with how he played, but we felt he had an issue with his hamstring. And with 'we' I don't mean me, but the medical staff.
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - AUGUST 04: Jeremie Frimpong of Liverpool during the pre-season friendly match between Liverpool v Athletic Club Bilbao at Anfield on August 04, 2025 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by Carl Recine/Getty Images)
Liverpool right-back Jeremie Frimpong is set for a spell on the sidelines
"And they were completely right. So, a good call to take him off; otherwise, he would have maybe been out for longer. And we expect to have him back after the international break."
Joe Gomez enjoyed an 18-minute cameo off the bench against Bournemouth, marking his return from the sidelines. That said, the 28-year-old defender remains a doubt, with question marks over his fitness.
"For him to play 20 minutes [this season] is already quite a lot," said Slot. "I wouldn’t say he had a setback, but he wasn't able to train with us three days in a row completely with the team, which is completely normal if you have been out for so long and all of a sudden the manager needs you for 20 minutes.
Alexis Mac Allister and Joe Gomez of Liverpool during a pre-season training session at Kai Tak Sports Park on July 23, 2025 in Hong Kong, China
Alexis Mac Allister and Joe Gomez in Liverpool training session at the Kai Tak Sports in Hong Kong
"He is training with the team, so let’s see where he is on Monday, if he can be involved in the team, or if he can even start. But there are other options."
Conor Bradley remains a doubt for the Newcastle clash too, having missed the Community Shield and the opening match of the Premier League campaign. Slot said: "Conor trained for a few minutes with us today for the first time."
Newcastle could only be without two players on Monday night. Isak is essentially on strike, and Joe Willock has recently returned to training at Darsley Park, while Jacob Ramsey, who the Magpies signed from Aston Villa for £40m last week, is available.
Alexander Isak of Newcastle United
Alexander Isak of Newcastle United(Image: Getty Images)
On Willock, Howe said: "Joe trained on Tuesday and Wednesday and trained really well. When he went down in the game [in Korea] I thought he was going to be out longer term, it didn't look good. Credit to him, he's got back fit and looking good."
On Isak, Howe added: "It was a sad moment. My preference is these things do not happen publicly. They are better dealt with behind closed doors. But needs must. The club has spoken, and justifiably so in that moment.
"He’s contracted to us. He’s our player. My wish is that he would be playing on Monday. He won’t be, and that’s regrettable. But 100 percent I want him back in a Newcastle shirt."