newcastleworld.com

Alexander Isak to Liverpool scenario ruled out - Eddie Howe says Newcastle United won't allow it

Newcastle United won’t allow Alexander Isak to join Liverpool - as it stands.

However, Isak is currently on strike in an attempt to force through a move to Liverpool, meaning Anthony Gordon is set to continue as the makeshift striker for tonight’s clash against the Premier League champions at St James’ Park (kick-off 8pm).

The Newcastle United scenario PIF won’t allow to happen

Jaws dropped last Tuesday when Isak broke his silence on his future, where, in a statement, he wrote: “When promises are broken and trust is lost, the relationship can’t continue.”

Within a few hours, Newcastle strenuously denied suggestions that Isak was told he could leave and said they “do not foresee” the conditions of a sale being met. And Howe has repeated similar, by insisting the club’s PIF owners won’t allow the Swede to leave in the current climate.

Asked about the prospect of losing Isak without a new striker signing in place, Howe said: “I don’t think the club will allow that situation to happen. We certainly can’t go through the season with no recognised striker at the football club – and that’s no disrespect to Will Osula.

Read More

“I think he’s doing really well and he’s progressing really well, but he’s got limited experience in the Premier League, although I’m really happy with his career progression. But Alex at the moment would be the only striker we have with Premier League history of goals and appearances and starts, so we can’t leave ourselves in that position.”

Alexander Isak to Liverpool increasingly unlikely

Even if Newcastle do sign a striker before next Monday’s transfer deadline, the chances of Isak departing remain slim, as any new recruit would be regarded as a replacement for Wilson.

The Magpies remain at the table for Yoane Wissa but, as it stands, are unwilling to meet Brentford’s price tag, which is understood to be in excess of £50million. But because Wissa is desperate to make the move, he is hopeful of a compromise that will allow him to complete a transfer.

Earlier this week, Wissa deleted all mention of Brentford on his Instagram account and was subject to a fresh bid from Newcastle, who upped their offer for £25m to £40m.

Wissa missed the Bees’ Premier League opening day defeat at Nottingham Forest and his absence continued against Aston Villa on Saturday.

“We're working hard on incomings,” said Howe. “I wouldn't say we're close. We still have a little bit of time, but that time will go very quickly, as we know. So we're in a position where I think the squad's in a really good place, but we're still looking to replace Callum Wilson. That's sort of the big area that we're working on.”

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page