londonworld.com

Crystal Palace should ditch £17.3million defender pursuit and sign 'exceptional' proven…

Glasner needs a handful of new signingsplaceholder image

Glasner needs a handful of new signings | Getty Images

Crystal Palace should ditch their current pursuit to land a proven commodity.

Crystal Palace are in need of new signings as we enter the final week of the summer transfer window. The window shuts next Monday evening, and Oliver Glasner needs help in a number of positions amid what will hopefully be a European campaign.

Speaking over the weekend about Palace’s transfer plans, Oliver Glasner said: “I won’t talk about the players we need; it makes it more expensive. We want to be competitive in the Premier League, European football and cup competitions — and when you lose one of your top stars, it is pretty clear you have to replace him. That is what we are looking for and I’m pretty sure we will get it done because we have already found the right one.”

Marc Guehi could yet follow Eze, and whether he does or not, a defender will likely be needed to add depth to the centre-back position. A number of options have been rumoured, and one potential option would require Palace to spring into action almost immediately.

That’s because Arsenal centre-back Jakub Kiwior, who could leave this summer to secure more regular first-team football, is reportedly the subject of interest from FC Porto, who have previously failed with an approach.

Romano has posted on X: “FC Porto keep talks active for Jakub Kiwior with new bid set to be sent this week. Arsenal already rejected a bid in July but Porto will try again soon. If Zinchenko and Kiwior leave, #AFC could add one more player.”

He added: “More on FC Porto and Jakub Kiwior: new proposal to Arsenal this week, expected to be over €20m. Loan with obligation to buy package set to be discussed after #AFC rejected a bid from Porto for Kiwior back in July. Could be key for Arsenal to bring in new centre back.”

Palace should ditch Canvot for Kiwior

Later in the morning, Palace were linked with Toulouse star Jaydee Canvot, with Romano adding: “EXCL: Crystal Palace enter the race for French centre back Jaydee Canvot after Aston Villa bid rejected last week. Toulouse always asked around €20m for French defender.”

But Kiwior is a much better option for the Eagles, who need to be looking at players who are proven in the Premier League and in Europe. Kiwior has proven he can do that, enjoying a superb end to last season when deputising for the injured Gabriel Magalhaes at centre-back, and he has also impressed at left-back in the past.

Arteta said of the defender towards the end of last term: “He [Kiwior] deserves a lot of credit because he hasn’t played too much throughout many months and suddenly he has been thrown into the most difficult context. At the highest level, playing against the best opponents when you haven’t had the physical rhythm or the confidence to do it, and I think he’s been exceptional.”

Kiwior could cost around the same as Canvot, and Palace would be getting a much more proven commodity in what is an important season.

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page