Newcastle United will return to the table with Alexander Isak in the coming days as they look to reintegrate the Swedish star back into the first team
12:55, 25 Aug 2025Updated 12:56, 25 Aug 2025
Alexander Isak wants to join Liverpool in a British record transfer
Alexander Isak wants to join Liverpool(Image: Getty Images)
Newcastle United are set to make another attempt with Alexander Isak, with the Swedish striker expected to be called upon to prepare for next week's encounter at Elland Road.
Howe said on Friday that PIF would not permit the Magpies to enter the opening half of the new campaign without a senior striker, meaning Isak's desired switch to Liverpool will not be approved unless a replacement is secured before the transfer window closes.
Following Newcastle being informed of astronomical valuations for Wolves' Jorgen Strand Larsen and Chelsea's Nicolas Jackson, it appeared Howe was left with dwindling alternatives at the end of last week.
The Isak situation was put on hold as preparations for tonight's Liverpool fixture were intensified, but United are preparing for a second approach from the Reds before the window concludes.
Howe has not completely given up on Isak and intends to hold fresh talks with the Swedish international once the Liverpool match is concluded, reports Chronicle Live.
Alexander Isak of Newcastle United speaks to Eddie Howe, Manager of Newcastle United, after leaving the pitch due to an injury during the Carabao Cup Third Round match between Newcastle United and Manchester Cityat St James' Park on September 27, 2023 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.
Eddie Howe is hoping to reintegrate Alexander Isak into the Newcastle squad(Image: Getty Images)
Whether Isak will be willing to rejoin the squad following his contentious decision to miss the club's Far East tour and opt to train independently in Spain last month remains uncertain.
The speculation circulating behind the scenes at St James' Park continues to suggest that Isak's only route to securing a transfer to Liverpool is for the Reds to table an offer of approximately £150m.
Speaking ahead of the Liverpool clash, Howe stated: "We are making decisions based on what we think is the best for Newcastle United.
Don't miss a thing with football updates!
Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news? Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star Football email newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to breaking stories, get it all in your email inbox.
How do you sign up?
It only takes a matter of seconds.
Simply click on this link, then provide your email address and that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top football stories.
You can also sign up for our sport email, Off the Ball, for all the latest darts, boxing, snooker, F1 stories and more, right here
"They are being strong on the valuations of players and on how a player leaves the football club, all of these things are important. They are important on this situation and also the future."
Isak released a strong post on Instagram last week making it clear that he wanted to leave Newcastle.
Article continues below
When discussing if PIF would make their own statement, Howe said: "I don't think they (PIF) are trying to make any overall big statement, but just reacting to this individual statement."