newcastleworld.com

'That's the plan' - Brentford issue official Yoane Wissa update in blow to Newcastle United

Yoane Wissa of Brentford celebrates scoring his team's third goal with teammate Bryan Mbeumo during the Premier League match between Brentford FC and Brighton & Hove Albion FC at Gtech Community Stadium on April 19, 2025 in Brentford, England. (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)placeholder image

Yoane Wissa of Brentford celebrates scoring his team's third goal with teammate Bryan Mbeumo during the Premier League match between Brentford FC and Brighton & Hove Albion FC at Gtech Community Stadium on April 19, 2025 in Brentford, England. (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images) | Getty Images

Newcastle United’s hopes of signing Brentford striker Yoane Wissa are fading.

The Magpies saw a £40million bid rejected for Wissa last Wednesday and talks are currently at a standstill with the Bees setting an asking price in excess of £50million.

Wissa has been trying to force through a move to the Magpies and last week deleted all mention of Brentford on his Instagram account.

But the 28-year-old has still trained with Andrews’ squad, having previously gone through a period of training alone, but he has not played a game since the final day of last season.

But despite his absence, Brentford boss Andrews expects Wissa to still be at the West London club when the transfer closes next Tuesday.

Brentford boss issues Yoane Wissa update

"It's very similar, stroke the exact same, as where we were pre-Villa," Andrews said. "He won't be involved tomorrow [vs Bournemouth in the Carabao Cup]. Again, it's just a decision based around what I feel is best for the group.

"The focus is on the group tomorrow. Yoane won't be involved. As far as I'm concerned, there's been no movement in any way and I fully expect Yoane to be here come next Tuesday.

“My gut hasn’t really changed, my stance hasn’t really changed from day one of when I took over. I knew there would be interest in Yoane naturally when he scored that amount of Premier League goals and he played as well as he did last season.

Read More

“He’s built his career at this football club for the last four years where he has grown in stature and presence so I’m not surprised by it. But I haven’t really changed throughout the whole time, I’ve been pretty consistent in my message around, not just because there are cameras here, it’s how I genuinely feel.”

Asked if Wissa would be able to be reintegrated into the squad, Andrews replied: "That's the plan. If I didn't think it would be, my stance on it would probably be different.

"We've got a phenomenal group of players and staff that has been built over numerous years, where there's a real culture of togetherness, a real underpinning of respect throughout the building.

"People walk in and they feel that. Anybody that's not attached to the football club can sense the club is run in a certain way."

Newcastle United remain in the market for a striker

Newcastle want to sign a striker to replace Callum Wilson - not wantaway striker Alexander Isak - before the window shuts. However, Howe admitted to NewcastleWorld on Friday that there’s a chance a new striker won’t arrive.

“Yes, of course. I mean, that's equally possible,” Howe said. “I think for us, we are still actively in the market but I think I say all the time that any transfer has to be right. And for a number of reasons, and this is the sort of with PSR, you're always trying to manage that situation.

“If we make a signing that goes against some of the long term planning, we can put ourselves in a very difficult position again very, very quickly. So, we have to be careful with what we do.

“Yes, we have a need, but we also can't allow ourselves to go into a difficult moment where we're forced to selling a player, as we did with Elliot Anderson and Yankuba Minteh, So, we're always aware of that. And we're sort of at that moment where we have to be careful.”

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page