newcastleworld.com

Newcastle United handed double boost ahead of Liverpool clash & Alexander Isak latest

Joe Willock of Newcastle United in action during the pre-season friendly between Team K League and Newcastle United at Suwon World Cup Stadium on July 30, 2025 in Suwon, South Korea. (Photo by Han Myung-Gu/Getty Images)placeholder image

Joe Willock of Newcastle United in action during the pre-season friendly between Team K League and Newcastle United at Suwon World Cup Stadium on July 30, 2025 in Suwon, South Korea. (Photo by Han Myung-Gu/Getty Images) | Getty Images

Newcastle United have been handed a double midfield boost for the clash against Liverpool.

Following their Premier League opening day draw away to Aston Villa, the Magpies confirmed the arrival of Ramsey from Villa in a deal worth £43million (£39m & £4m in add-ons).

The 24-year-old took part in his first training session on Wednesday and he is expected to be among the substitutes at St James’ Park tonight.

Jacob Ramsey in Newcastle United’s squad vs Liverpool

“Yes, he'll be available. Touch wood. Of course, we've still got training sessions to go before the game, but he's in a good place,” Newcastle boss Eddie Howe said at his pre-match press conference on Friday.

“He's been really impressive in his first couple of days. Really, really good technically, very intelligent. I think he's going to add a lot to the team. He's got standout qualities.”

Joe Willock available again for Newcastle United

In a double midfield boost, Newcastle will also be boosted by the return of Joe Willock.

The Magpies feared the worst when the 25-year-old was stretchered off during the closing stages of the 1-0 defeat to Team K-League in South Korea on July 30. Given the player’s 2023-24 season was blighted by the same issue, another lengthy spell on the sidelines was feared.

Read More

But the noises after the game were positive and so that has proven to the case, with Willock set to return just under four weeks after the incident.

Howe said: “Joe trained Tuesday and Wednesday. Small part Tuesday, bigger session on Wednesday and trained really well, so great to see him back so early.

“I think when he went down in the game against Team K-League, I thought he was going to be out longer term. It didn't look a good injury, just the way he went down. But credit to him, back fit and looking good.”

Newcastle United remain without Alexander Isak

With Willock back, Newcastle’s only major absentee is wantaway striker Alexander Isak.

Isak hasn’t kicked a ball for Newcastle since May, having essentially gone on strike in an attempt to force through a move to Liverpool. The Swede missed United’s pre-season tour of Asia and since then has been training alone at the club’s Benton training centre.

The 25-year-old will be staying on Tyneside, unless Newcastle sign two strikers before the summer transfer window shuts on September 1.

“I think the club has to act in the best interests of Newcastle United, and it will do that in every situation,” Howe said. “I think it's a lose-lose situation to a degree for us because I don't think we can come out of this winning in any situation. And that's why I've said all summer it's a difficult situation for the club to manage.

“We love Alex in the sense of what he's done for the football club since he's been here, what he's contributed, what he's given, how professional he's been. And this has just been an unfortunate few months that it looks like it's coming to an end. Well, it will come to an end pretty quickly and then we can focus on the football again.”

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page