nottinghampost.com

The story of an extraordinary few days at Nottingham Forest and what might happen next

The future of Nottingham Forest head coach Nuno Espirito Santo has been in the spotlight in recent days amid a huge fallout behind the scenes at the City Ground.

Reports of the Portuguese’s position coming under serious threat first emerged on Friday morning and events have spiralled from there. It has been a dramatic period Trentside. But what do we know so far and what might happen next?

Reds reporter Sarah Clapson sets out the current state of affairs amid claim and counter-claim, alternative managerial suggestions and the knowledge that Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis does not take kindly to criticism...

What happened on Friday?

Early in the day, Italian reporter Matteo Moretto claimed on X the Reds were ‘considering sacking’ Nuno. He cited ‘tensions’ between ‘the ownership’ and the Forest boss, with specific mention of the club’s transfer business.

Forest poured cold water on the rumour. However, Moretto doubled down on his claim by suggesting former Tottenham Hotspur manager Ange Postecoglou was under consideration for the job.

Nuno faced the media a few hours later, in his pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday’s trip to Crystal Palace. And far from being his usual reserved self, he gave a raw appraisal of his situation in a no-holds-barred Q&A.

In response to the rumours about his job, he said there was ‘no smoke without fire’. He also admitted to a breakdown in his relationship with owner Evangelos Marinakis.

Nuno had been urged to keep his counsel in front of the media, given his team were preparing for an important game which already had much focus on it. But he clearly felt he wanted to make a point.

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more

Sky Sports deal

Big names linked

Between Friday and Forest taking to the Selhurst Park pitch on Sunday, a number of names were linked with Nuno’s job. Postecoglou was not the only one being mentioned as a potential replacement, even though there was no vacancy to be filled.

Self-titled ‘special one’ Jose Mourinho was one name doing the rounds. Celtic’s Brendan Rodgers was also identified as a possible target.

Nuno’s grievances

"Look, I always had a very good relationship with the owner. Last season was very, very, very close, (talking on an) almost daily basis. This season, not so well,” Nuno said on Friday.

“But I always believe that dialogue and what you say or your opinion is always valid, because my concern is the squad and the season that we have ahead of us. But our relations have changed.”

His honest answers followed on from a similar approach a week earlier, when he had hit out at the club’s transfer business. And on a similar note, it is said Nuno's real grievance lies with recently-appointed global head of football Edu.

The two men do not get on and there is also reportedly a difference in transfer policy. Whether the rift can be healed remains to be seen.

An olive branch

Come match day, Nuno’s demeanour was much more upbeat than a few days earlier. There was also a change of tone in some of his comments.

In an interview before his team’s 1-1 draw, he stated he wished to remain in charge of the Reds. Post-match, he dismissed suggestions he had been trying to engineer his own exit as ‘absurd’.

Additionally, Nuno said he would hold talks with Marinakis and Edu in a bid to resolve the dispute. In what had the feel of an olive branch being extended by the 51-year-old, he suggested harmony could be restored.

“I believe so. Everybody wants the best for Forest - me first. All the club wants the best for Forest,” he said.

“This is the first time in my career I am facing this situation and being asked these things. It is not helpful, but I believe conflict doesn’t work out. We have to create harmony and we need it.”

Get breaking Forest news sent direct to your phone

Join our Nottingham Forest WhatsApp group and get the latest breaking news, interviews and opinion sent straight to your phone, plus matchday team news and live updates of all the action. Just click here and select ‘Join Community’ to get started. The only proviso is that you must have WhatsApp on your phone to participate. No one will be able to see your personal information and you will only receive messages from the NottinghamshireLive Reds writers.

We will not spam your WhatsApp feed with constant messages, but you will receive updates from us daily with the latest Reds stories. If you later decide to opt out, just go to the name at the top of your screen and click 'Exit Group'. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions and adverts from us and our partners. If you are curious, you can click here to read our Privacy Notice.

What have the players said?

Scorer Callum Hudson-Odoi was asked about Nuno’s situation after the stalemate in south London. He refused to get drawn on the matter but stated the players had tried to block the outside noise.

“To be fair, we don’t really look at stuff like that,” the winger told BBC Radio Nottingham. “We just try to keep our heads down, try to perform on the pitch when we get opportunities and train hard.

“Everything else, from outside noise, we don’t really look at. For us, it’s just making sure that when he’s ready with whatever it is - tactics, talking, going outside to have a walk, whatever it is - we’re just ready for it.

“He’s the manager. We’re ready. We’re just happy, yeah. The main thing we can do is go on the pitch, do what we can and keep making everyone happy.”

What happens next?

Nuno’s position appears to be safe for now at least. But a question mark remains over his long-term future at the club, even though he signed a new three-year contract back in June.

It remains to be seen whether the fracture between the ex-Wolverhampton Wanderers chief and Edu can be repaired. Sky Sports have claimed a meeting between Nuno, Edu and Marinakis is yet to be scheduled.

On Sunday, Nuno said the immediate priority had to be putting the finishing touches to the squad before the transfer window closes next Monday. He was seemingly in no rush for any talks to take place, insisting getting signings over the line had to be the club’s main focus.

There is an international break coming up next month. Given what has transpired, it could be that gap in the fixture list proves to be a significant juncture for Nuno one way or another.

Forest will be mindful, however, of what is at stake. They are in Europe for the first time in three decades - thanks to Nuno’s work last season - and have a strong squad in place. The foundations are there for another exciting campaign. Do they risk ripping up what has been built?

Should Forest stick with Nuno? Click HERE to have your say

Read full news in source page