Thomas Frank smiling alongside Yoane Wissa in a Brentford shirt
(Credit: Imago)
James Murray
Tue 26 August 2025 7:00, UK
Tottenham could hijack Newcastle United’s deal to sign Yoane Wissa before the transfer window closes on 1 September.
Newcastle have been attempting to sign Wissa throughout the transfer window, having seen an improved £40million bid rejected for his services on Wednesday (20 August).
Eddie Howe’s side are considering their striker options following the speculation surrounding Alexander Isak, who is currently on strike as he looks to secure a move to Liverpool.
Wissa took the unusual step of unfollowing Brentford on Instagram last week after seeing a move to Newcastle blocked.
The 28-year-old wasn’t named in the Brentford squad for their first two games of the new Premier League campaign.
Brentford, Yoane Wissa
Yoane Wissa is refusing to play for Brentford (Credit: Imago)
Tottenham could agree £60m Yoane Wissa deal
This article contains exclusive comment fromStefan Borson, a former financial adviser to Man City.
Wissa has also been on Tottenham’s radar this summer as Thomas Frank considers a potential reunion with his former striker.
MORE FOOTBALL INSIDER STORIES
The DR Congo international, whose contract expires in June 2026, registered 20 goals and five assists in 39 appearances last season.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, Borson said: “I think contractually it’s much less likely that Brentford will hold the player than Isak.
“I think it’s a 75-80 per cent chance that he will end up moving.
“I think Newcastle’s risk on that transaction is that let’s say Spurs get so frustrated by the other deals that have collapsed and just say we’ll pay the £50million or we’ll pay the £60million, whatever the number is, and they’ll just overpay.
“Then all of a sudden, Newcastle have been gazumped. I think the player will move, it’s a question of where and whether somebody comes from out of the blue to buy him or whether Newcastle just have a clear run.
“I think if Newcastle have a clear run, they’re just negotiating over £5-10million.
“I just do not see Brentford gambling on holding that player, given the amounts of money at stake.
“But does he have any leverage? I don’t think Wissa has any leverage at all in terms of being able to force his way out.”
Eddie Howe of Newcastle United during a match at St. James' Park.
Eddie Howe is considering his attacking options this summer (Credit: Imago)
Goncalo Ramos wants to join Newcastle after transfer mission
In terms of other transfer activity, recruitment expert Mick Brown told Football Insider Goncalo Ramos wants to join Newcastle this summer after scouts have been tracking his recent performances.
The Portugal international initially joined PSG on loan from Benfica in August 2023 before securing a permanent move to the French capital in a £69million deal later that year.
The 24-year-old striker has registered 34 goals and eight assists in 88 appearances for Luis Enrique’s side.
For more Newcastle United and exclusive news, follow us on Facebook or join our brand new WhatsApp Channel for instant updates to be sent straight to your phone.
Related Posts