Manchester United head coach Ruben Amorim has confirmed that Rasmus Hojlund is available to play in Wednesday’s EFL Cup second-round tie away against League Two outfit Grimsby Town.
The 22-year-old continues to be linked with an exit from Old Trafford ahead of the September 1 transfer deadline following the arrival of Benjamin Sesko from RB Leipzig earlier this month.
Hojlund was left out of Man United’s matchday squad for their opening two Premier League matches of the new season, including last weekend’s 1-1 draw at Fulham.
Recent reports claim that Serie A champions Napoli have entered advanced negotiations with the Red Devils over signing the Denmark international on loan with a conditional obligation to buy for around £40m.
Signed by Man United just two summers ago for a reported £72m from Atalanta BC, Hojlund appears to have fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford, but Amorim has confirmed that the striker will be considered for selection on Wednesday.
Manchester United defender Noussair Mazraoui in September 2024.
Amorim delivers latest Hojlund, Mazraoui update
Speaking at a pre-match press conference on Tuesday, Amorim said: “All the players (who are fit) are available. Then we will make the choice to get the best starting XI to win every game.”
Asked if he will make changes to his lineup against Grimsby, Amorim replied: “Yes. Yes, we have three games this week, we have quality players, and we need to do rotation to try to win every game.”
Meanwhile, the Red Devils boss has revealed that defender Noussair Mazraoui is closing in on a return from a thigh injury, but he is unsure whether the Moroccan will be available for selection before the international break at the beginning of next month.
“Maybe he is going to return next week, we will see,” Amorim told reporters. “But he’s near, we are just finishing some drills with him to be sure that he’s not going to have another problem.”
Lisandro Martinez is Man United’s only other injury concern, with the defender also set to miss the trip to Blundell Park as he continues to recover from a knee injury he suffered in February.
Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim pictured on August 9, 2025
Amorim: ‘Man United were not prepared to play in Europe’
After finishing down in 15th place in the Premier League last season and failing to qualify for European competition, Man United are entering the EFL Cup at the second-round stage for the first time since 2014.
Amorim has admitted that his Red Devils’ squad were “not prepared” to compete in Europe and the Portuguese has insisted that he and his players need time to develop and improve.
Discussing the balance between keeping players happy while giving them enough first-team minutes to maintain rhythm without European competition, Amorim said: “It’s a normal thing that happens in other clubs. I think we were not prepared to play Europe.
“That is my feeling, to have strong games in the Champions League and then play Premier League. We need time to develop as a team.
“So, they just need to fight for the places and then everything can change. Sometimes one is playing, in other moments, other guys are going to play, and we have the cups, so we’re going to have a lot of games for everybody.”
Man United are preparing for their first meeting with Grimsby since March 1948 when they played out a 1-1 draw in the old Division One.
ID:580077:1false2false3false: from db desktop :LenBod:collect5398:
No Data Analysis info