Antonyplaceholder image
Antony | Manchester United via Getty Images
Manchester United have until the transfer deadline on Monday 1st September to complete any final bits of business
Manchester United have the chance to bring in some more new faces this week. It has been a busy summer on the recruitment front for the Red Devils. They also have the opportunity to let some players head out the exit door as well if needed.
The deadline is on Monday 1st September at 7pm. In the meantime, Ruben Amorim’s side have another couple of games to get through first. They play Grimsby Town in the Carabao Cup up next before they lock horns with Burnley at home in the Premier League this weekend.
Manchester United transfer update regarding Antony
Real Betis are still pushing to re-sign Antony from United. In this latest update regarding his situation by Sky Sports, the Europa League side have proposed some ‘creative loans’ that have been rebuffed so far. The La Liga outfit want him on temporary basis but the Red Devils want to sell him permanently so the two parties are yet to come to an agreement.
Antony, 25, has fallen out of favour at Old Trafford. He is surplus to requirements under Amorim and an exit wouldn’t be a surprise. He moved over to England back in 2022 but has struggled to make an impact.
Prior to his move to United, he caught the eye playing for both Sao Paulo and Ajax. He has since made 96 appearances for his current club in all competitions and has scored 12 goals. The Brazil international, who has made 16 caps for his country to date, was given the green light to link up with Real Betis last January.
He was a hit during his time in Spain and scored nine goals in 26 games, five of which came in the league. The forward is wanted back but they haven’t been able to reach an agreement yet. The clock is ticking as they look to lure him back.
What now for Antony at Manchester United?
It seems very unlikely that Antony will get back into United’s plans under Amorim. A departure would suit all parties involved. It would help free up space and funds in the Red Devils’ ranks and give the player the chance to get regular minutes elsewhere.
It was Erik ten Hag who signed him three years ago. At the time, he said: "This is an incredible moment in my career to be joining one of the most iconic clubs in the world. I'm thankful to everyone who has believed in me, especially my family, and all my coaches and team-mates, because I could not have got here without them.
"Playing under Erik ten Hag at Ajax was perfect for me and my development. His style of football and coaching brings out the best in me, and I am excited by what he has told me about his plans and ambitions in Manchester. My time at Ajax was fantastic and I will always be grateful for the trust they put in me, but now I am ready for the next challenge, and I can't wait to join my new team-mates and play my part in bringing success to Manchester United."
Continue Reading