givemesport.com

Why Chelsea are at war with Liverpool over ace - the Premier League have been forced to…

It was Rio Ngumoha’s name in the headlines as he netted Liverpool’s winner in their 3-2 win over Newcastle United in the Premier League on Monday night – and why the teenage sensation’s former employers, Chelsea, are ‘at war’ and demanding compensation from the Reds has been revealed.

Taking it first time without a second thought, the 16-year-old was aware of Dominik Szoboszlai’s cheeky dummy and was on hand at the back stick to curl his effort beyond Nick Pope to steal all three points at the last minute. It was a moment for eternity.

Expected to be a vital cog in Arne Slot’s frontline in the future, Ngumoha is already showing signs of his superstar status – not least when he clinically swept in the winner on Monday night. But why are Chelsea, who sold him last summer, said to be furious?

Chelsea Hunt Compensation for Ngumoha From Liverpool Move in 2024

Rio Ngumoha

Much was made of London-born Ngumoha’s move from Stamford Bridge to Anfield in the summer of 2024. Frustrated, Blues legend John Terry – who has previously coached the 2008-born star at the club – said: “The boy is and will be a top top player.”

Those inside Stamford Bridge circles also felt the same way and the west Londoners continued to be embroiled in a financial battle with Liverpool over Ngumoha, who has continued to blossom under the stewardship of Slot and others on Merseyside.

In November, Inside Sport revealed that Chelsea higher-ups were annoyed at the prospect of losing a ‘generational talent’ and, as a result, a tribunal had been called to set a fee for the wonderkid, who turns 17 years of age in two days' time.

Nearly a year on from his controversial move, a decision is yet to be made by the Premier League – but those inside Chelsea are hoping that his buzzer-beating winner against Newcastle could further their case for compensation, it has been reported.

Rio Ngumoha liverpool

Liverpool’s move for Ngumoha had passed the Premier League’s five-step process, but those of a Stamford Bridge persuasion are still peeved off. So much so that it’s understood they banned Liverpool’s youth scouts from attending academy matches.

Ngumoha – who delivered a brilliant post-match interview after his milestone moment earlier this week – was named player of the tournament for Chelsea’s Under 16s as they were crowned national champions in 2023. His tournament-wide performance piqued the interest of potential would-be buyers.

Watch Ngumoha's 100th-minute winner against Newcastle:

Manchester United were interested in the phenom’s signature, but it was Slot’s Liverpool who won the tug-of-war. In 2024/25, he played 72 minutes in his side’s 4-0 win over Accrington Stanley in the FA Cup, but he played the majority of his minutes for the club’s youth sides.

This season, however, Ngumoha will be looking to cement himself as a regular in senior proceedings and Luis Diaz’s summer move to Vincent Kompany-led Bayern Munich could see him given more opportunities than all parties initially expected. The world is his oyster.

Read full news in source page