everton.news

Opinion: Forget Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Everton dodged a real bullet with 'torrid' new Leeds…

Everton have missed out on a number of targets this summer in the transfer window.

David Moyes has made no secret of this, with the 62-year-old sharing a lot to the media over the course of the summer.

“We are pleased with the players we have added, but I am not pleased because I think I still need more,” he said ahead of the Leeds United loss.

More has since been added with Tyler Dibling arriving at Everton in a deal worth around £35m from Southampton.

Everton have recently seen Dominic Calvert-Lewin join Leeds, after he decided to test the market as a free agent.

Leeds fans slammed Calvert-Lewin’s debut on Tuesday evening in the Carabao Cup.

But it seems as if Calvert-Lewin moving on was not the only Leeds bullet the Toffees dodged over the summer.

Sheffield Wednesday v Leeds United - Carabao Cup Second Round

Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images

Everton land lucky escape after Sean Longstaff joined Leeds United

Earlier in the window, Everton showed an interest in Sean Longstaff, whose future at Newcastle United had come to the end of the road.

MORE EVERTON STORIES

The midfielder landed at Elland Road, and he has joined Calvert-Lewin in making a disastrous start to his career in Yorkshire.

Longstaff started the Carabao Cup game away to Sheffield Wednesday, and the midfielder did not make a positive impression.

Journalist for Leeds United News, Dan Murphy, handed Longstaff a mere 5/10 rating for his display, explaining:

‘Attempted some nice lofted balls to break the lines but could have got forward more in a performance lacking much adventure,’ Murphy said about Longstaff.

‘Easily bypassed at points as Wednesday tried to break. Hardly played himself into contention and missed from the spot.’

Journalist Lee Sobot even slammed Longstaff’s debut as ‘torrid’.

Everton fans did not want Longstaff signed, and it looks as if they have already been proven correct following his full debut.

The Whites may have beaten Everton on the opening day, but the Toffees will be looking to land an exciting cup run for their fans on Merseyside.

Everton looking to land another midfielder

Ahead of Monday’s deadline, it is believed that Everton are keen to sign another midfielder to bolster their options.

One thing that is clear is that it won’t be Yves Bissouma who is set to join Galatasaray over the coming days.

This search could go right down to the wire, but Everton fans will be pleased that they don’t have Longstaff on their side.

It was not a debut to remember…

90 minutes played

83 touches

3/7 ground duels won

1 penalty missed

3 fouls conceded

6x possession lost

Everton are showing interest in Tomas Soucek again, and he could mark a major upgrade on their former target, Longstaff.

Read full news in source page