The latest Manchester United news as former captain, Gary Neville, shares his views on Benjamin Sesko.
Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville presents to camera.
Gary Neville has had his say on Benjamin Sesko at Manchester United so far.
(Image: James Gill - Danehouse/Getty Images)
Gary Neville has warned Manchester United that Benjamin Sesko could make the Reds more open when he gets into their side. However, the ex-United captain has insisted that Ruben Amorim must start the Slovenia frontman against Grimsby Town on Wednesday night.
The striker arrived at Old Trafford from RB Leipzig this summer for €76.5million (£66.4m) plus an additional €8.5m (£7.3m) in add-ons - signing a five-year contract. United were confident that the 22-year-old favoured a move to Manchester over Premier League Newcastle and acted promptly to finalise the deal.
But Sesko has yet to start for Amorim's team since arriving at M16 - initially making substitute appearances against Arsenal and Fulham so far this season. There is an expectation that the forward will make his first start for United in Wednesday night's League Cup clash at Grimsby (8pm).
And Neville has shared his view on Sesko. He reckons that the No.9 is still some way off being at the physical level needed to make an impact for Amorim's men.
"Sesko, at the moment, let's just say it, he's nowhere near in terms of fitness or just getting up to speed," he told Sky Sports.
"Ruben Amorim said before the game that there is a clamour to play him. Last week, I was saying; 'Look, let's just get him straight in'.
"He 's going to have to get him in against Grimsby and give him 90 minutes.
"He's going to have to probably play him against Burnley next Saturday - just to get him going - because you can see he needs football.
"What you can't do is let a player of that value, that potential, just keep being on the bench.
"The problem he'll have is that he wants to keep [building] the team, but I think what you saw when they brought Sesko on, then put [Mason] Mount into midfield, and took Casemiro off, they did get opened up and it looked like Fulham could score."
Content Image
Content Image
Here at The Manchester Evening News, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.
Make sure you don't miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.
You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day's biggest stories.
And, finally, if you would rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast, featuring The Samuel Luckhurst Show and The Midweek Debate. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.