At the start of the 2024/25 Premier League season, Kobbie Mainoo seemingly had the world at his feet. Then just 19, he’d come off the back of a breakthrough season at Manchester United, scoring in their FA Cup final win over rivals Manchester City.
His performances persuaded Gareth Southgate to take the plunge and select him for the Euros. As the tournament wore on, Mainoo grew in stature, starting in the final defeat to Spain. Despite the disappointment, it seemed that both club and country could safely declare a star had been born.
Barely 12 months on, and he finds himself surplus to requirements at Old Trafford and heading for the exit door. He’s been confined to a watching role from the bench for each of United’s two Premier League games so far, and is being linked with both Real and Atletico Madrid.
According to The Athletic, the academy product has told team-mates he’s prepared to leave the club. The transfer deadline expires at 7pm on Monday, September 1, with United bosses said to be weighing up the benefits of a sale.
Talks have taken place over a new deal with United, but Mainoo remains on a reported salary of just £200,000-a-week. It’s a figure considered measly compared to the club’s top earners, with Casemiro on a huge £350k-a-week by comparison.
Mainoo was not one of the four players ordered to train away from Carrington this summer. But despite avoiding the ‘bomb squad’ formed by Alejandro Garnacho, Antony, Jadon Sancho and Tyrell Malacia, speculation over a move away has been rife.
Mainoo, 20, appeared crestfallen after failing to get on the pitch during Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Fulham. At the final whistle, he trundled onto the surface before kneeling down with his head in his hands.
Amorim instead opted for Bruno Fernandes and Casemiro as his favoured midfield pairing. Despite the Brazilian veteran being hauled off, it was Manuel Ugarte, and not the young English star, who was sent on as a replacement.