newcastleworld.com

'Can suit' - Newcastle United deal for Jorgen Strand Larsen addressed by national team boss

Norway's forward #11 Jorgen Strand Larsen (C) and his teammates celebrate after the FIFA World Cup 26 UEFA Qualifying football match between Estonia and Norway in Tallinn on June 9, 2025. (Photo by RAIGO PAJULA / AFP) (Photo by RAIGO PAJULA/AFP via Getty Images)placeholder image

Norway's forward #11 Jorgen Strand Larsen (C) and his teammates celebrate after the FIFA World Cup 26 UEFA Qualifying football match between Estonia and Norway in Tallinn on June 9, 2025. (Photo by RAIGO PAJULA / AFP) (Photo by RAIGO PAJULA/AFP via Getty Images) | AFP via Getty Images

Newcastle United are pushing to sign Jorgen Strand Larsen from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Norway manager Stale Solbakken has commented on the speculation linking Jorgen Strand Larsen with a move to Newcastle United.

Strand Larsen joined Wolverhampton Wanderers last summer on an initial season-long loan from Celta Vigo before the move was made permanent for £23million in July.

The striker scored 14 goals in 35 Premier League appearances last season and this campaign has two goals in three games following his brace in Tuesday night’s 3-2 victory over West Ham United in the second round of the Carabao Cup.

Newcastle United bidding to sign Wolves striker Jorgen Strand Larsen

Newcastle have been looking to sign a striker to replace Callum Wilson but the search has been exacerbated by Alexander Isak going on strike in an attempt to force through a move to Liverpool.

The Magpies held talks with Liam Delap right at the beginning of the summer but he decided to join Chelsea. Bids were also tabled for Joao Pedro, Hugo Ekitike and Benjamin Sesko, but they opted to join Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United, respectively.

Efforts to sign Yoane Wissa from Brentford have also so far fallen flat, with the Bees keen to sign a replacement before considering an exit. Newcastle saw £40m bid turned down last Tuesday and, as it stands, won’t go any higher.

That has seen Eddie Howe’s side turn their attention to Strand Larsen but are being faced with similar resistance, with offers of £50m and £55m rejected this week.

Norwegian journalist confident Jorgen Strand Larsen will join Newcastle United

That hasn’t appeared to deter Newcastle, who are expected to submit a third bid. While it’s claimed Wolves don’t want to sell, former Norway footballer turned respectable journalist Jan Age Fjortoft believes a transfer will happen.

On Tuesday, Fjortoft wrote on X: “Bid of £55m rejected, but I have been told that Newcastle will be back again. Jorgen Strand Larsen has been very clear that he wants this deal to go through. He wants to play for Newcastle United.”

Earlier in the day, Fjortoft also said: “Newcastle saw a £50m bid rejected yesterday by Wolves, but I still expect this deal to go through. Another offer is imminent, and I’m told it should be enough to make Jorgen a Newcastle player.”

Norway manager comments on Jorgen Strand Larsen to Newcastle United links

And staying with Norway, national team boss Solbakken has also given his brief take on the situation.

Strand Larsen has been called up to the Norway squad for upcoming matches against Finland and Moldova. By the time those fixtures come around, the player’s future will have been decided due to the summer transfer window closing on Monday at 11pm.

And whatever happens, Solbakken believes Strand Larsen is well-suited to both Wolves and Newcastle.

“I haven’t spoken to Jørgen. This is a dream situation for him. He plays in the Premier League anyway and can suit both clubs,” Solbakken said, relayed by Dagsavisen.

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page