Liverpool hold interest in Alexander Isak from Newcastle United and Marc Guehi from Crystal Palace ahead of Monday's transfer deadline day
Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi
Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi is a transfer target for Liverpool
(Image: Getty Images)
Liverpool are reportedly ready to greenlight a spending spree exceeding £150m before the summer window closes. They have set their sights on Alexander Isak and will make a move - if they receive any indication from Newcastle United that a deal is possible.
Isak is already on strike, has expressed his desire to join Liverpool and now it could simply be a matter of whether Newcastle can secure replacements after having a second offer of £55m rejected for Wolves striker Jorgen Strand Larsen.
There is also 'growing confidence' at Anfield that a deal for Crystal Palace captain Marc Guehi could still be finalised before Monday's deadline, reports the Mirror.
Palace are eager to focus on Thursday's Europa Conference League play-off with Fredrikstad while they are also seeking to bolster their defence.
Palace chairman Steve Parish is likely to demand around £40m but Guehi only has a year left and could depart on a free next summer. Liverpool are sure to want to negotiate a lower price.
There is no other serious interest in him in this window but Manchester City would certainly be ready to act if he was available for nothing next year.
This leaves Palace with a significant dilemma and, having rejected around £70m for Guehi last summer, Parish conceded last week they may have to sell because they cannot afford to lose him for free.
Time is running out for Liverpool in their pursuit of Isak, with any potential transfer still hanging in the balance after the Sweden striker reaffirmed his position to Newcastle bosses this week. The Magpies' leadership had been hoping to broker a truce.
The Reds have seen one £110m offer knocked back, with Newcastle holding out for £150m, but the deal could ultimately depend on whether Eddie Howe can secure replacements.
Wolves remain determined not to part with Strand Larsen whilst Brentford have rejected a £40m approach for Yoane Wissa - and that could prove crucial to any Isak transfer.
The striker, who has been working out separately since missing Newcastle's pre-season tour, has sat out both opening fixtures and now looks set to prioritise international duty over club commitments.
Sweden have named him in their squad for next month's World Cup qualifiers against Slovenia and Kosovo. Sweden boss Jon Dahl Tomasson said on Isak's selection: "I am very happy that Alexander Isak wants to be in the squad, he is a huge player.
"The situation he is in is not perfect and he has not trained with the team. But he is a player who can decide matches and he wants to be part of our squad, the World Cup is important for Alexander Isak."
Meanwhile, Newcastle skipper Bruno Guimaraes has disclosed that he hasn't spoken with Isak throughout the entire transfer drama. Guimaraes told ESPN Brazil: "I haven't had any contact with him. We've been training in the mornings, and he trains at a different time, when no-one from the team is around.
"As captain, and for us players, it's a tough situation because we want to have the best players with us. That's something we can't control. The club, the management, the owners are dealing with it, and I hope it gets sorted out in the best way.
"We're really missing our striker, a player who scored more than 20 goals in the Premier League last season, so of course he's someone we feel the absence of. We hope to have our best player back. But unfortunately, this is a situation that neither I nor any other player can control."