Liverpool are preparing for a massive £150million-plus spending spree before the summer window closes, according to reports. They have set their sights on Alexander Isak and will make a move if they receive any indication from Newcastle United that a deal is possible.
Isak, who is currently on strike, has expressed his desire to join Liverpool. Now, it's just a matter of whether Newcastle can secure replacements after their second offer of £55m for Wolves striker Jorgen Strand Larsen was rejected.
According to the Mirror, there's also increasing optimism that a deal for Crystal Palace captain Marc Guehi could be finalised before Monday's deadline.
Palace are eager to focus on Thursday's Europa Conference League play-off with Fredrikstad while also seeking to bolster their defence.
Palace chairman Steve Parish is likely to demand around £40m for Guehi, who only has a year left on his contract and could depart for free next summer. Liverpool are sure to push for a lower price.
No other club is seriously pursuing him in this window, but Manchester City would certainly be interested if he was available for free next year.
This leaves Palace with a significant dilemma. Having previously rejected around £70m for Guehi last summer, Parish conceded last week that they may need to sell as they cannot afford to let him go for nothing.
Liverpool's pursuit of striker Isak is a race against time, with the deal hanging in the balance as the Swedish forward reiterated his position to Newcastle directors this week. The Newcastle board had been hoping for a resolution.
For the latest breaking stories and headlines, sign up to our Daily Express MUFC newsletter, or join our WhatsApp community here.
Liverpool have already had a £110m bid turned down, with Newcastle holding out for £150m. However, the success of the deal could also depend on whether Eddie Howe can bring in replacements.
Wolves are insistent they won't let Strand Larsen go, while Brentford have rejected a £40m offer for Yoane Wissa, which could be crucial to any deal involving Isak.
Isak, who has been training alone after missing Newcastle's pre-season tour, hasn't featured in either of the first two games and is now expected to play for Sweden before Newcastle.
He has been called up for Sweden's World Cup qualifiers against Slovenia and Kosovo next month.
Sweden coach Jon Dahl Tomasson said of Isak's call-up: "I am very happy that Alexander Isak wants to be in the squad, he is a huge player.
For the latest breaking stories and headlines, sign up to our Daily Express transfer newsletter.
"The situation he is in is not perfect and he has not trained with the team. But he is a player who can decide matches and he wants to be part of our squad, the World Cup is important for Alexander Isak."
Newcastle captain Bruno Guimaraes revealed that he hasn't spoken with Isak throughout the entire transfer saga.
Speaking to ESPN Brazil, Guimaraes said: "I haven't had any contact with him. We've been training in the mornings, and he trains at a different time, when no-one from the team is around.
"As captain, and for us players, it's a tough situation because we want to have the best players with us. That's something we can't control. The club, the management, the owners are dealing with it, and I hope it gets sorted out in the best way.
"We're really missing our striker, a player who scored more than 20 goals in the Premier League last season, so of course he's someone we feel the absence of. We hope to have our best player back. But unfortunately, this is a situation that neither I nor any other player can control."