tbrfootball.com

'The information I've got': Sky journalist shares what happened when Newcastle's owners met Alexander Isak

Liverpool’s interest in Alexander Isak has not gone away, and Newcastle United’s owners held a meeting with the striker to find a resolution.

The Sweden international was always going to be a big name in this summer’s transfer window, but not many people would’ve expected this situation to drag on like it has.

Isak has refused to train with Newcastle and is adamant that he wants to leave, but the Magpies haven’t opened the doors yet because they are struggling to find a replacement.

Newcastle’s owners flew into Tyneside to hold talks with Isak, but that hasn’t proved to be fruitful.

Newcastle owners’ meeting with Alexander Isak did not go well

It is no secret at this point that Alexander Isak wants to leave Newcastle United and join Liverpool.

The former Real Sociedad man has released a public statement, claiming that promises have been broken and there’s no way back, but the Toon have not given up.

Newcastle have resisted all the pressure and have maintained that Isak is not for sale, and that stance hasn’t changed so far.

The Daily Mail revealed that Newcastle co-owner Jamie Reuben and club director Jacobo Solis met with Isak on Monday at his home before the game against Liverpool at St James’ Park.

Now, Sky Sports journalist Keith Downie has revealed that the meeting did not go well and there was no resolution whatsoever.

Alexander Isak in action during a Premier League clash between Newcastle and Ipswich

Photo by Visionhaus/Getty Images

He said on his YouTube channel: “Obviously, a huge question mark surrounds Alexander Isak. The information I’ve got is that the meeting on Monday didn’t go too well. There certainly wasn’t a positive resolution that came out of that.

“And that means that there still is a chance, I would say a fairly high chance as we stand here on Wednesday night, that Alexander Isak could leave for Liverpool.

“Look, it would be a lot more palatable for Newcastle if they manage to get a bare minimum of one player in. If you get two in, if you got Wissa, Strand Larsen, I firmly believe that Isak will be allowed to go because I don’t think, well, I know Eddie Howe doesn’t need three centre forwards and Anthony Gordon.

“He likes having Anthony Gordon as his number three. He obviously plays out wide primarily, but he likes having him as a number-three striker. He doesn’t need three.”

Will Newcastle get £150m from Liverpool for Isak?

Newcastle have been clear from the start that they do not want to sell Isak, and a price tag of over £150 million has been widely reported to scare off teams.

If the Magpies decide to sell Isak, they would hope to get that figure in, but Downie believes that Liverpool will not go that far.

The Sky journalist thinks that a deal, if it were to be done, would be for slightly less than £150 million, but would be for a lot more than the £110 million that Liverpool originally offered.

Downie said: “Regards to Isak, will he go? Will he stay? Look, all options are still on the table. Anyone who says right now they know exactly what’s going to happen is lying. They’re guessing.

“If you’re asking me, I still think that he’s more likely to go. There’s so much water under the bridge. There have been attempts to mend things. There’s been no resolution from that. I think Eddie Howe would love to keep him. I just think there’s a feeling from within certain people at the club that it’s difficult to come back from what’s happened.

“But of course, Newcastle aren’t going to go cap in hand to Liverpool and say: ‘Well, we want you to sign our player.’ It doesn’t work like that. Liverpool need to come to the table and need to make a big bid.

“How much is that going to be? I’ve been saying for weeks, I wouldn’t expect it to be the £150 million. I think it’ll be a little bit less than that, but it still needs to be significantly more than the £110 million that was offered earlier on in the window last month.”

TBR Football exclusively revealed that Liverpool’s bid will exceed the £130 million mark and could reach close to £140 million depending on the add-ons.

Read full news in source page