nottinghampost.com

Nottingham Forest transfer latest as 'approach' made for in-demand defender

Nottingham Forest are said to be in talks over a deal for RB Leipzig defender Lutsharel Geertruida.

Strengthening at full-back is a priority for the Reds in the final days of the summer window. They have until 7pm on Monday to complete their remaining transfer business.

Head coach Nuno Espirito Santo is keen to recruit another right-back and another left-back before then. Forest have a number of potential targets for both positions, with Geertruida among them.

Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano posted on X: “Understand Nottingham Forest have made club to club contact with RB Leipzig for Lutsharel Geertruida. Talks underway for Dutch defender.”

The Reds face competition for the 25-year-old right-back, however. Serie A outfit Atalanta are keen on securing his services and are also said to have approached Leipzig about a deal.

According to Sky Sports, Geertruida is ‘open’ to a move. He made the switch to Germany from Feyenoord 12 months ago but is said to be ‘dissatisfied’ despite making 17 league starts last season.

The Netherlands international has ‘several options’ as he weighs up his situation. A loan move with an option to buy is reportedly ‘being discussed’.

Forest have been credited with an interest in a number of right-backs as they work to bring in cover in that department. Ola Aina has made that position his own and Neco Williams can also operate there, but the latter has established himself as first-choice on the left.

Atletico Madrid’s Nahuel Molina and Aston Villa’s Matty Cash have been linked. Sevilla’s Jose Angel Carmona has also been on the club’s radar.

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more

Sky Sports

Additionally, the Reds have reportedly had a €11 million (£9m) offer for Nicolo Savona rebuffed by Juventus. According to Italian publication Tuttosport, a second bid is expected from Forest.

After Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace, Nuno identified the deals he would like to see completed in the remainder of the window. The Reds have brought in eight new additions so far this summer, but further ins and outs are expected in the coming days.

“We need three players - one more goalie and two full-backs,” Nuno said after the full-time whistle at Selhurst Park. “We cannot live with the fear of if something happens to Ola and Neco.”

He added: “If one of our wingers can play at full-back, I will be the first to say that we need only one full-back. But Omari (Hutchinson), Kali (Arnaud Kalimuendo), Macca (James McAtee), I look at them and they are not full-backs.

“The team needs full-backs. We have Omar Richards and Eric Moreira, who need to move and proceed their careers and be happy, because I cannot give what they need in their careers, which is minutes.”

Would Geertruida be a good signing for Forest? Click HERE to have your say

Read full news in source page