Whether Alexander Isak is still a Newcastle United player next week remains to be seen but the striker could lift the lid on what has been described as a "conflict" by Swedish media today
Newcastle United's Alexander Isak
Alexander Isak(Image: Getty Images)
Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak could be ready to lift the lid on his side of the story after refusing to play for Eddie Howe this season.
Isak has accepted his Sweden call-up to return to action as the uncertainty continues to swirl above St James' Park - and the absent star may even face the music as early as next week after being asked to fulfil press duties by the Swedish FA ahead of their autumn internationals.
Depending on whether Isak has made his move to Liverpool or not, he could of course pull out of any media duties, but he has so far complied with all of the Swedish FA's requests to get back in action, and may now get the opportunity to speak at length about his decision making process this summer.
Chronicle Live understands that nothing has changed between Isak and Newcastle after high-level talks between the wantaway star and United chiefs on Monday at his home.
Head coach Eddie Howe will provide an update on Isak's situation at his Press conference ahead of the trip to Leeds United but told journalists in Sweden that the striker's fitness has plummeted after playing no minutes in pre-season.
Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet has today also described Alexander Isak's situation at Newcastle as a "protracted conflict".
Isak had taken to Instagram last week and posted: "Promises were made and the club has known my position for a long time."
But those promises have been denied by Newcastle who say he is "welcome" to rejoin training any time.
Isak is waiting to see if Liverpool return with a second bid to take him to Anfield in the final few days of the window.
Otherwise, he is scheduled to fly to Stockholm to link up with Jon Dahl Tomasson to begin preparations for World Cup qualification clashes against Slovenia and Kosovo.
However, the plot could thicken for Isak once he lands in his home country next week with TV camera crews and reporters understandably keen to crank up coverage on the centre-forward's controversial summer.
One source in Sweden told Chronicle Live: "Swedish FA officials have promised that Isak will do media, let's see if they keep that promise!"
Should Isak be put up to face the media next week, it would at least give the absent striker the opportunity to explain himself after a short statement did not exactly pacify Newcastle fans last week but any revelations on his motives to quit the Magpies would provide some "popcorn" content for media outlets around the world.
Tomasson, inevitably, leaned towards supporting Isak knowing he needs to get the striker up and running for two crucial World Cup games. The former Blackburn Rovers boss said: "Nobody knows the big picture."
He also went on: "Alex is a very professional player, a strong character and he has worked hard. He is a game changer.
"I have spoken to him several times, mentally he is strong. What we have said stays between us of course. Can he play 90 minutes? Of course not.
"I am very happy that Alexander Isak wants to be in the squad, he is a huge player."
Newcastle have not commented after United officials attended Isak's house last week.