hammers.news

'Done deal' for West Ham as Sky Sports journalist lifts lid on big Mateus Fernandes clause

The move for Southampton’s Mateus Fernandes is now a ‘done deal’ for West Ham according to a leading Sky Sports journalist who has also revealed a significant clause attached to the transfer.

West Ham have exploded into life in the last week of what has been a slow summer transfer window.

Many news outlets and journalists, particularly those covering Southampton, have been reporting West Ham had no chance of signing Mateus Fernandes.

Over a week ago, Hammers News exclusively revealed the makings of a deal for West Ham to sign Mateus Fernandes from Saints at around £40m had effectively been agreed.

The Hammers saw an offer of £28m plus £2m in add-ons rejected by the Saints earlier in the month.

Mateus Fernandes a ‘done deal’ for West Ham

Fernandes has been the prime midfield target for Graham Potter and head of recruitment Kyle Macaulay for some time.

After the opening bid, it was widely claimed Southampton had told the West Ham board not to bother making another bid for their 21-year-old Portuguese star unless they added another £20m to make it £50m.

Highly-rated, all-action Fernandes won more duels than any midfielder aged 21 and under across Europe’s top five leagues last season.

MORE WEST HAM STORIES

Given how poor West Ham have looked in central midfield for the best part of 19 months – let alone this season – it is little wonder Potter is so desperate to sign Fernandes.

Well now he has it seems.

Mateus Fernandes celebrates during Southampton FC v Liverpool FC - Premier League

Photo by Robin Jones/Getty Images

In a major Hammers News exclusive today, West Ham’s owners revealed two signings were imminent.

And one of them is clearly Southampton’s star player.

Because Fernandes is a ‘done deal’ for West Ham as a top Sky Sports man lifts the lid on a big Saints clause.

News has emerged from Sky Sports Germany reporter Florian Plettenberg that the Hammers have made a huge breakthrough as they look to wrap up one of the summer’s most exciting moves.

Plettenberg says Fernandes to West Ham is a ‘done deal’.

Sky Sports man lifts lid on big Saints clause

The move, according to widespread reports, is worth a guaranteed £38m with up to £4-5m in add-ons, as revealed by Hammers News last week.

Now Plettenberg has revealed a big clause that will also be inserted in Fernandes’ move to the London Stadium.

The reporter claims Southampton will get 15 per cent of any future sale of Fernandes by West Ham.

🚨💥 Mateus #Fernandes to West Ham – DONE DEAL!

Medical already underway for the 21 y/o midfielder. Southampton will receive €50 million in total, including easy add-ons. The sum could rise above €50 million for exceptional performances. #WHUFC

15% of any future sale also… pic.twitter.com/iumJ9vv2gY

— Florian Plettenberg (@Plettigoal) August 28, 2025

View Tweet

That is potentially a very hefty chunk for the Hammers to sacrifice.

Southampton signed Fernandes for £15m from Sporting last summer and have more than doubled their money on the midfielder in a year.

Mateus Fernandes celebrates during Northampton Town v Southampton - Carabao Cup

Photo by Matt Watson/Southampton FC via Getty Images

For argument’s sake, if West Ham were to do the same and roughly double their money in the coming seasons, then Saints could be in line for another £10-15m.

Although it remains to be seen whether the 15 per cent sell-on clause relates only to any profit made by West Ham on the sale – ie: anything above £42/43m – as is usually the case.

It’s not all bad news for Southampton and their West Ham-supporting manager Will Still, though.

Plettenberg claims Southampton’s replacement is already in the building and having his medical with Caspar Jander set to replace Fernandes at St Mary’s.

Saints get 15% of future Fernandes sale as replacement arrives

The other deal West Ham’s owners hinted at is expected to be the £17.3m arrival of Soungoutou Magassa from Monaco.

The France Under 21 defensive midfielder, who can also play centre-back, was in east London for his medical with Fernandes yesterday.

But a technical issue meant Magassa’s medical had to be retaken.

That left the door open for Eintracht Frankfurt to try and hijack the deal.

Overnight there was a major twist in West Ham’s Magassa ‘here we go’ gone wrong.

Word is the Hammers, spooked by the club’s horrific start to the new season, are not done there.

Defenders, goalkeepers, potentially another midfielder and forwards are being looked at.

And now an exciting mystery striker West Ham want has been unmasked by a journalist.

Read full news in source page