footballfancast.com

Not Woltemade: Big-money CF has said yes to joining Newcastle, he's a Wilson upgrade - opinion

Newcastle United’s transfer window has already been dominated by the ongoing saga surrounding Alexander Isak, who continues to push for a move to Liverpool.

The Swedish striker, having refused to train with Eddie Howe’s squad and absent from the opening fixtures of the Premier League campaign, has placed the Magpies in a precarious position.

The lack of a recognised No. 9 has been evident, especially after their narrow defeat at home to Liverpool, where a spirited display was undermined by poor finishing.

To compound matters, makeshift striker Anthony Gordon - tasked with filling the void in attack - was sent off against the Reds, earning a three-game suspension.

Anthony Gordon is sent off for Newcastle

Anthony Gordon is sent off for Newcastle

With William Osula the only senior forward left available, Newcastle’s striking options are perilously thin.

Newcastle target has said yes to joining

Senior figures from the PIF have attempted to convince Isak to return to training, but the Swede has been clear in his desire to leave, publicly citing broken promises and insisting that change is in everyone’s best interest.

Newcastle failed in approaches for Liam Delap, Hugo Ekitike, João Pedro, and Benjamin Šeško, while two bids for Brentford’s Yoane Wissa were swiftly rejected.

Wissa-Brentford-Keith-Andrews

With time running out before the close of the window, Eddie Howe and his recruitment staff have been forced to turn to a new solution.

It's one that could both ease the immediate crisis and provide a longer-term replacement for Callum Wilson, who left for West Ham earlier in the summer.

According to TEAMtalk, Newcastle’s pursuit of Wolves striker Jørgen Strand Larsen has accelerated in recent days, with the 25-year-old Norwegian understood to have now 'said yes' to a move to St James’ Park.

Wolves have already rejected two significant bids - £50m and £55m - but there remains internal optimism at Newcastle that a compromise can be reached before deadline day, although it may cost them £65m.

strand-larsen-wolves

Strand Larsen is seen as an ideal stylistic fit for Newcastle’s high-energy system under Howe, but whether or not he'll still join alongside surprise signing, Nick Woltemade, remains to be seen.

Reports emerged on Thursday evening from Germany suggesting that a deal worth €85m plus €5m in add-ons had been agreed with the Bundesliga outfit, Stuttgart, to bring him to the Toon.

Why Strand Larsen is the perfect Callum Wilson successor

Strand Larsen, who signed permanently from Celta Vigo in July 2025 after a successful loan spell, has quickly become one of Vítor Pereira’s key players.

Last season, he scored 14 Premier League goals and has already underlined his value this term by scoring two quickfire goals off the bench to seal a dramatic 3-2 Carabao Cup victory over West Ham.

Wolves, already reeling from the departure of Matheus Cunha to Manchester United, are reluctant to part with another centre-forward.

With a contract running until 2029, Wolves are under no pressure to sell. Their stance is clear: Strand Larsen is central to their project, and any deal will have to reflect that.

Larsen-Wolves-West-Ham-stats

Strand Larsen

For Newcastle, the attraction of Strand Larsen extends beyond the immediate need to cover Isak’s absence.

The club’s long-standing reliance on Callum Wilson, while successful in bursts, has been undermined by the Englishman’s ongoing fitness struggles.

Newcastle striker Callum Wilson

Newcastle striker Callum Wilson

During his five years at the club, Wilson missed more than 114 games through injury for Newcastle and England combined, leaving the Magpies chronically short of striking depth.

Despite scoring 47 goals across 113 appearances, his unreliability ultimately forced the club to seek an alternative.

Strand Larsen offers a blend of qualities that Newcastle have lacked in Wilson’s absence. Statistically, his 2025/26 numbers show why he is being targeted.

Jørgen Strand Larsen - 2024/25

Matches Played

Starts

Goals

Assists

Progressive Carries

Progressive Passes

Source: FBref

According to FBref, he recorded 18 goal involvements across 35 matches, boasting a 61.1% shot-on-target rate.

His 1.15 shots on target per 90 minutes compares favourably to many established Premier League strikers, while his ability to contribute defensively (0.66 blocks per 90 and 0.35 tackles per 90) reflects the intensity Howe demands from his forwards.

When compared to Wilson, the Norwegian’s durability and consistency stand out. At 25 years old, Strand Larsen is entering his prime, contrasting sharply with Wilson, now 33.

jorgen-strand-larsen-wolves

Wolves' Jorgen Strand Larsen celebrates.

His physical profile also provides a different dimension - standing nearly 6ft 4in, he can hold up play and bring others into the game, something Newcastle’s current system could utilise to great effect.

The tactical implications are clear. With Strand Larsen leading the line, Newcastle would gain a reliable focal point capable of pressing, linking play, and finishing chances.

Even if Isak does reintegrate, the Norwegian’s presence ensures Howe has depth and flexibility in attack, reducing the risk of being left short in the way they currently are.

Moreover, his international pedigree - 21 caps and three goals for Norway - adds experience at the highest level, complementing Newcastle’s recent influx of players with European credentials.

jorgen-strand-larsen-norway

The club’s summer recruitment of Jacob Ramsay, Malick Thiaw, Aaron Ramsdale, and Anthony Elanga has already improved depth across the pitch.

Adding Strand Larsen would not only stabilise the forward line but also provide a long-term solution that fits with the club’s broader strategy of building a young, competitive squad capable of sustaining success.

The situation with Wolves remains delicate, but with the player keen and Newcastle’s need growing more urgent, negotiations are likely to intensify.

Should the Magpies succeed, Strand Larsen could prove to be more than just a stopgap amid the Isak turmoil. He could be the striker to finally end Newcastle’s reliance on fragile options and lead the line for years to come.

Read full news in source page