Fabrizio Romano has shared an update on what Liverpool are thinking now that Newcastle United are set to sign Nick Woltemade from VfB Stuttgart.
It is a transfer saga that has lasted the whole summer, but the end will come one way or another on Monday.
Alexander Isak is still refusing to return to Newcastle United training, with his mind firmly on joining Liverpool this summer and forging a career elsewhere. Newcastle’s owners had talks with Isak to try to tempt him to stay at the club, but it appears the damage has already been done, and Isak is still pushing for the move away.
It has become clear that the 25-year-old sees no future for himself on Tyneside and is happy to train away from Newcastle’s first-team squad until he gets his move.
Isak has been called up to the Sweden national squad alongside teammates Anthony Elanga and Emil Krafth. There are clearly no issues with fitness. Now, Fabrizio Romano has provided an update on Liverpool’s thinking now that Newcastle are set to sign Nick Woltemade.
Alexander Isak warms up before a Premier League game between Newcastle United and Liverpool.
Photo by George Wood/Getty Images
Liverpool ready to go ‘all-in’ for Alexander Isak, says Fabrizio Romano
Woltemade is having his Newcastle medical on Friday, with the hope that the deal will be signed off ahead of the Magpies’ trip to Elland Road on Saturday.
The 23-year-old was Germany Under-21’s top scorer in the European Championships earlier this summer, and came up against Tino Livramento in the finals.
Although not the same player stylistically, Woltemade is a talented young striker who can excel under Eddie Howe.
MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES
With Woltemade soon to become a Newcastle player, Romano has confirmed that Liverpool are ready to make a second bid for Isak. The Reds saw a £110m bid for Isak rejected by Newcastle in August, with the fee way below their £150m asking price.
Romano states that Isak ‘only wants Liverpool’ and if Newcastle decide to give them hope that a deal will be done, they will be ready to pounce. Their stance on signing Isak has never changed, despite the arrival of Hugo Ekitike earlier this summer.
🚨 Liverpool are ready to go all-in and bid again for Alexander Isak, as player’s stance has never changed.
Isak only wants #LFC and if Newcastle decide to open doors after Woltemade (+1 more striker also expected to join), Liverpool are ready.
🎥 https://t.co/H188VkOLWv pic.twitter.com/hIj1GGekXi
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 28, 2025
View Tweet
What must happen before Alexander Isak can leave Newcastle United
While Isak is still being stubborn, Newcastle hold the aces over what they want to do with him. The Sweden international still has three years left on his current deal with the Magpies, so a gargantuan offer must be placed to move the needle.
However, it still feels like Isak could leave this summer, and Liverpool will be the most likely destination.
Newcastle have held on for as long as they could, but the next offer from the Reds will be way over the record transfer fee they set just earlier this summer.
🚨💣 BREAKING: Nick Woltemade to Newcastle, here we go! Agreement in place after official bid accepted.
Fee over €80m plus add-ons, medical in England in the next 24 hours with travel being arranged right now.
Long term deal agreed with Woltemade who says yes to #NUFC. ⚪️⚫️🇩🇪 pic.twitter.com/rLVMuQFIpr
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 28, 2025
View Tweet
Geordie Boot Boys understand that Newcastle want to sign a second striker after Woltemade. While there has been a lot of talk of Woltemade being a replacement for Callum Wilson, it is difficult to see them spending so much money on a backup striker.
Newcastle still want to sign Yoane Wissa from Brentford, so everyone could end up happy by Monday evening when the transfer window closes.