Liverpool are running out of time to get deals over the line before the summer transfer window slams shut, but have been handed a massive boost in their pursuit of Alexander Isak
09:00, 29 Aug 2025
Alexander Isak
Alexander Isak is desperate to join Liverpool
Liverpool are preparing to take on Arsenal in a massive Premier League showdown on Sunday afternoon, but the transfer rumour mill continues to churn as Monday evening's summer window deadline looms.
Alexander Isak's situation will be resolved before he joins up with Sweden for international duty next week, though it remains uncertain whether he'll still be at Newcastle come 7pm on Monday despite his efforts to engineer an exit.
But there's been a huge twist in the saga that could pave the way for the goal machine to join the Premier League champions. And there's still the possibility of a last-minute deal for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi as well, although this largely hinges on how the Eagles get on in their quest to find a replacement for their captain.
Here's all the latest transfer news from Anfield, as Arne Slot looks to assemble a squad capable of winning a record breaking 21st top flight title and a seventh European Cup.
Isak deal 'unlocked'
DUNAJSKA STREDA, SLOVAKIA - JUNE 22: Nick Woltemade of U21 Germany celebrates after scoring his side's first goal during the UEFA European Under-21 Championship 2025 Quarter-Final match between Germany and Italy at DAC Arena on June 22, 2025 in Dunajska Streda, Slovakia. (Photo by Christian Hofer/Getty Images)
Nick Woltemade is one of Europe's most talented young strikers(Image: Christian Hofer/Getty Images)
Newcastle are set to break their transfer record and finally sign a striker this summer, after agreeing a £70million fee with Stuttgart to sign German forward Nick Woltemade.
The deal could prove to be a major turning point in the saga involving Isak, who's refused to play after being denied his dream move to Liverpool, but may now be allowed to leave the club.
Woltemade, 23, has been heavily linked with a move to Bayern Munich throughout the summer, after an impressive campaign with Germany at the under-21 European Championship and bagging 17 goals for Stuttgart last term.
Newcastle have been rejected by multiple attacking options this summer including Hugo Ekitike who preferred Liverpool and Benjamin Sesko and Bryan Mbeumo who both chose Manchester United.
But they may have eventually landed a talented prospect to fill Isak's shoes if he departs in the coming days. It's believed Newcastle have struck a deal worth £65m plus around £4.5m in add-ons, which would make Woltemade the most-expensive player in their history, topping Isak, who cost £63m in 2022.
Isak to speak out
Alexander Isak playing for Newcastle United
Alexander Isak may finally get his wish(Image: Harriet Massey/Getty Images)
Alexander Isak may be poised to share his perspective on his refusal to turn out for Newcastle and his push for a switch to Liverpool, reports the Mirror. Isak is eager to join the Reds and hopes an agreement can be struck before the transfer window shuts.
The 25-year-old ended his silence on the matter last week, issuing a statement claiming Newcastle had reneged on commitments made to him. He said: "I've kept quiet for a long time while others have spoken.
"That silence has allowed people to push their own version of events, even though they know it doesn't reflect what was really said and agreed behind closed doors. The reality is that promises were made and the club has known my position for a long time."
Isak has been selected for the Sweden squad for their forthcoming World Cup qualifiers against Slovenia and Kosovo, and according to the Newcastle Chronicle, he's been requested by the Swedish FA to handle press duties
Guehi dilemma
Marc Guehi
Marc Guehi has just a year left on his Crystal Palace deal(Image: Getty Images)
Crystal Palace are bracing themselves for life without Marc Guehi by scouring the transfer market for potential replacements for their skipper.
With Guehi in the final year of his contract at Palace, the club recognises the need to cash in now or face the prospect of losing him for free in a year's time.
Liverpool initiated talks to sign the England international on August 12 and remain interested in the 26-year-old centre-back.
It's understood Guehi is open to joining the champions, who are looking to bolster their defensive options beyond Virgil van Dijk and Ibrahima Konate.
Article continues below
Negotiations stalled earlier this month over the valuation, with Palace demanding £45million for their star defender, while Liverpool won't exceed £35m.
However, talks are expected to pick up momentum again following Palace's Conference League play-off win against Fredrikstad on Thursday night.