A senior Liverpool official has been holding secret hotel meetings in recent days in order to get a significant piece of transfer business over the line.
Slot coy about Liverpool signings ahead of Arsenal
The Reds have been boosted in their efforts to sign Newcastle United star Alexander Isak, due to the Magpies closing in on the signing of Nick Woltemade from VfB Stuttgart, and also still eyeing a move for Brentford attacking Yoane Wissa.
Speaking in his pre-Arsenal press conference on Friday, Liverpool head coach Arne Slot rather ckeekily said it is "very nice" for Eddie Howe that Woltemade is off to St James' Park, but remained coy about how it could impact his side's business leading up to deadline day.
"I think I said after Monday evening that, again, I could make a substitution that impacted the game. That's what Federico [Chiesa] did against Bournemouth and that's what Rio [Ngumoha] did now against Newcastle. As always, we try to sign players that can help us, but there is no reason after the first two games to complain or to think we need more.
"If we can strengthen the squad then we will always try to do that if it's for the right money and it's the right player. There are only three or four days to go now, so let's see if we do something - and if we do something, what we can do." - Slot, via LFC official media channels
Hugo Ekitike may have made an excellent start to life at Liverpool, scoring three goals in as many games this season, but signing another forward is still a must given the tragic loss of Diogo Jota and sales of both Luis Diaz and Darwin Nunez.
Real Madrid winger Rodrygo has emerged as a serious option in recent days, with reports FSG will bid for the Brazil international if they cannot complete a deal for Isak.
Real Madrid's Rodrygo arrives at the stadium before the match
Real Madrid's Rodrygo arrives at the stadium before the match
However, it appears the Reds' owners have been making moves in the shadows to get their top target.
Liverpool hold secret meetings with Newcastle
According to Caught Offside, officials from Liverpool and Newcastle have held "secret meetings" over the signing of Isak this summer. The report adds that the pair have "been talking over breakfast, lunch, and dinner, just the two of them, away from the prying eyes of the media", with FSG making good use of their positive relationship with Newcastle's owners, the Saudi PIF.
A new bid which is closer to the £130m mark has now been submitted according to this report, after an offer of around £110m was rejected earlier in the window.
Newcastle United's Alexander Isak celebrates scoring their first goal
This feels like one of the most positive updates yet regarding Liverpool's pursuit of Isak, with the Reds now feeling more likely to sign him than not this summer.
The Telegraph's Mike McGrath also reports that a British transfer record £130m bid is expected to be tabled by the Premier League champions "over the weekend", so whether Caught Offside have jumped the gun or not will become apparent in the coming hours and days.
It would now arguably be a surprise if Isak wasn't a Liverpool player next week, and if they can sign him and Crystal Palace captain Marc Guehi, it would complete an incredible summer of transfer business.