geordiebootboys.com

Eddie Howe refuses to rule out departure of 'unpredictable' Newcastle United star

Eddie Howe has not ruled out the departure of one Newcastle United man after exciting new transfer developments.

With the transfer window closing on Monday evening, the Magpies are well-positioned to attack the Premier League and Champions League with their four new senior signings.

Additionally, Newcastle United are set to announce the signing of Nick Woltemade from VfB Stuttgart, taking their total senior additions to five. The 23-year-old arrived on Tyneside on Thursday night and has taken his medical ahead of the move on Friday morning.

Jamie Reuben said Newcastle will work until the deadline for new players, so perhaps he was aware that Woltemade was on his way to Tyneside. The German striker’s arrival means that Newcastle have a replacement for Alexander Isak, who has not played for the Magpies since May. The 25-year-old has omitted himself from first-team training in the hope that he can forge a move to Liverpool before Monday’s deadline.

While Woltemade arrives, it begs the question of what will now happen with William Osula. Newcastle manager Eddie Howe has now commented on the Dane.

Eddie Howe speaks to William Osula during a Premier League game between Newcastle United and Ipswich Town.

Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images

Eddie Howe suggests William Osula could leave Newcastle United on loan

Osula is set to start for Newcastle against Leeds United on Saturday, with Anthony Gordon suspended. It will be the 22-year-old’s first Premier League start since joining Newcastle for £10m in 2024.

However, Osula scored the equaliser against Liverpool on Monday, proving that he has the capabilities of becoming a top player in the future. However, Woltemade’s arrival puts Osula’s chances of playing first-team football in jeopardy.

Osula has loan interest from Bayer Leverkusen, and Howe has not completely shut down the idea of him leaving.

MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES

“I think anything is possible for Will,” Howe said.

“I don’t want to put any kind of restriction on how he’s viewed. We will view him and judge him however we do.

“Sometimes you can forget when you’re watching someone every day and you’re so ingrained in their development, you can forget to see the giant leap that he’s made.

“So I think his game is in a much better place. I think there’s more growth to come naturally for someone so young, but he’s got ability, he’s got talent, and he does score goals.

“He scores goals regularly in training. He’s quick and he’s strong. There will be a time when he has to play regularly to go the next step, and he’s probably in that moment now.

“I think that’s all for another day, regular football will be something he needs for his own career at some stage. Whether that’s now or in the future who knows.”

William Osula stance could mean another striker is set to join Newcastle United

There has been a suggestion that Howe does not completely trust Osula to play in big games, but the 22-year-old proved why he was brought to the club with his goal on Monday night. Saturday’s game against Leeds will be a big test for Osula, a player who was called ‘unpredictable’ by Howe in May, with the trips to Elland Road always proving to be difficult.

While Woltemade is set to be announced, Newcastle could still sign another striker this summer. Geordie Boot Boys understand Newcastle want to sign another striker, but are facing a race against the clock to get any deals done.

Eddie Howe on Will Osula:

"I thought Will did really well when he came on on Monday night. He gave us renewed energy, he has improved a lot from this time last year. He has gained the knowledge and experience of how we play, he is gaining in confidence and that goal will do him… pic.twitter.com/mgUsQ2WFJJ

— Newcastle United (@NUFC) August 29, 2025

View Tweet

Reports suggest that Newcastle are still keen on signing Yoane Wissa from Brentford, with the 28-year-old making himself unavailable for the Bees in the hope that a move can come to fruition.

Wissa returned to Brentford training earlier this month after telling club chiefs he would never play for them again, but he is yet to make a single Premier League appearance this season.

With Howe not ruling out Osula’s exit, it could mean that another striker is a priority this summer.

Read full news in source page