Kobbie Mainoo could be set to leave Manchester United, along with Alejandro Garnacho, and the Argentinian once praised the former as the finest United's squad has to offer
Manchester United's Alejandro Garnacho (left) and Kobbie Mainoo celebrate after winning the Emirates FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium, London.
Kobbie Mainoo was given glowing praise by Alejandro Garnacho(Image: John Walton/PA Wire.)
Kobbie Mainoo could be set for a Manchester United exit, with the Red Devils potentially losing a player Alejandro Garnacho once described as "the best player in the squad."
Whilst Garnacho's own future seems destined for elsewhere, with a switch to Chelsea looming, Mainoo could be set to join Serie A champions Napoli before Monday's transfer deadline as the midfielder pursues a move. Although the club are reluctant to sanction any move.
The 20-year-old was previously regarded as a crucial element of United's long-term plans following his displays across the past two campaigns. The youngster accumulated a tally of spectacular strikes and secured his England bow just over 12 months ago.
He also delivered a man of the match display in United's FA Cup final triumph over Manchester City in 2024 after netting the decisive goal. It was following that encounter against City where Garnacho lavished his colleague with extraordinary acclaim.
Speaking to the BBC, alongside Mainoo, Garnacho hailed the midfielder's pivotal role in securing the victory. "Just incredible," Garnacho said of his team-mate.
"I always say, for me, he's the best player in the squad and he's the youngest. We are also very good friends so I am very happy for him" When presenting the man of the match award to Mainoo, Garnacho added: "My man, I love you."
Ruben Amorim talking to Kobbie Mainoo
Kobbie Mainoo hasn't featured much under Ruben Amorim
With a squad brimming with talent, it spoke volumes to Mainoo's ability, that at just 20, he was given such an accolade. The England midfielder’s club contract runs until 2027 at United but negotiations over an extension have stalled.
The Mirror say the Italian champions have a four-year contract waiting for Mainoo, with the player having told United bosses he wants to go to Serie A, but on a permanent deal.
However, United are understandably cautious, given the remarkable impact another former player, Scott McTominay, has had at Napoli, and have so far prevented Mainoo's transfer. They are believed to value him at £50million and are open to offers, however.
Alejandro Garnacho receiving instructions from Ruben Amorim
Alejandro Garnacho fell out with Ruben Amorim(Image: Getty)
Under Ruben Amorim, Mainoo has only started 16 out of 44 games, and was benched for the second consecutive Premier League match this season when United drew 1-1 with Fulham on Sunday. Nonetheless, Mainoo played the full 90 minutes in Wednesday's EFL Cup penalty shootout defeat at Grimsby.
A video of a disheartened Mainoo at the final whistle at Fulham circulated on social media, fuelling rumours of his potential exit ahead of Monday's deadline.
Meanwhile, United have agreed a £40m deal with Chelsea for Garnacho, after he fell out of favour with Amorim. The Red Devils have secured a 10 per cent sell-on fee after United stood their ground on their valuation of Garnacho, having turned down Chelsea's initial offer of £25m.
Manchester United players Kobbie Mainoo and Alejandro Garnacho
Kobbie Mainoo and Alejandro Garnacho could both depart before Monday's deadline
Garnacho was omitted from United's starting line-up for their 1-0 Europa League final defeat to Tottenham and publicly criticised Amorim in the immediate aftermath of the loss in Bilbao.
If Mainoo moves to Napoli, he will be aiming to replicate the success of McTominay. The Scotsman was permitted to leave Old Trafford last summer for Antonio Conte's side in a £25m deal.
Since then, he has delivered a series of man of the match performances domestically and in Europe, becoming the first Scot to be shortlisted for the Ballon d'Or since former Rangers striker Ally McCoist in 1987.