manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Kobbie Mainoo transfer latest as Man United exit feelings clear after Ruben Amorim verdict

Manchester United midfielder Kobbie Mainoo faces an uncertain future at Old Trafford with the England star struggling for game time under Ruben Amorim so far this season

Kobbie Mainoo of Manchester United looks on

Kobbie Mainoo continues to be linked with a move away from Manchester United ahead of transfer deadline day

(Image: George Wood/Getty Images)

Kobbie Mainoo is being linked with a move away from Manchester United this summer.

Mainoo broke through as one of Europe's brightest talents under Erik ten Hag in 2023/24. The midfielder scored in United's FA Cup final victory over Manchester City before earning a call-up to Gareth Southgate's England squad for Euro 2024 where he started in the final against Spain.

But the 20-year-old has struggled for game time since Ruben Amorim replaced Ten Hag at Old Trafford in November last year. The Reds academy graduate has yet to start for Amorim's men in the Premier League this season and struggled like most of his teammates in Wednesday's shock League Cup defeat at Grimsby Town.

Below is a round-up of all the latest reports surrounding Mainoo's future at M16.

United stance

The Manchester Evening News understands that United will resist letting Kobbie Mainoo leave before the transfer window closes on Monday night. Mainoo has indicated his wish to head out on loan before the 7pm deadline on September 1 but United sources say they cannot afford to lose him.

Sources admit that United would move for a midfielder if they relent and let Mainoo join another club within the next 80 hours.

Amorim view

Amorim would not be drawn on Mainoo's future in Friday's press conference before United face Burnley on Saturday.

"Until it is official, I cannot say much," he said. "I want Kobbie [Mainoo] to stay.

"He needs to fight for his place. We need Kobbie. I understand that the players who aren't playing in this moment are disappointed. You have to fight during the week."

Mainoo claim

Kobbie Mainoo is reportedly attracting interest from Napoli this summer. The Mirror claim that the Italian champions have a four-year contract waiting for the 20-year-old midfielder.

And Mainoo has told United bosses he wants to go to Serie A - on a permanent deal. But United, mindful of the stunning impact made by another of their rejects, Scott McTominay, are said to have blocked the move so far.

Madrid reports

Real Madrid and fierce rival Atletico Madrid are said to be among the European heavyweights keeping an eye on Mainoo amid ongoing uncertainty around his future at Old Trafford. That's according to Mike Keegan of the Daily Mail, who claims the La Liga giants have joined the list of Premier League clubs weighing up a move for the United academy graduate.

The report claims a season-long loan would interest both Spanish clubs, with the England international struggling for game time under Ruben Amorim.

Contract latest

Mainoo has two-years remaining on the deal he signed when he was a 17-year-old, with his contract set to expire in 2027, though United do have the option of an additional year.

When recently asked about Mainoo's future at the club, Amorim stated it was down to director of football Jason Wilcox to agree new terms with players."That part is with Jason, so he is our player," Amorim said. "He has a contract, I didn’t hear any news about that."

Content Image

Content Image

Here at The Manchester Evening News, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.

Make sure you don't miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.

You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day's biggest stories.

And, finally, if you would rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast, featuring The Samuel Luckhurst Show and The Midweek Debate. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.

Read full news in source page