heavy.com

LeBron James to Clippers? Tye Lue Addresses Lakers Rumors

LeBron James

Getty

LeBron James of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James sent the basketball world into a tizzy this offseason when he posted a photo of himself working out in front of an LA Clippers logo. It was later revealed that the photo was taken at Playa Vista, formerly the site of the Clippers’ practice facility, where James and other Kltutch Sports Group clients frequent during the offseason.

The photo was accompanied with the caption: “Say whatever you want, but you damn sure won’t be able to say I didn’t put in the WORK!! 👑 . We’ll see what happens when I no longer exist. Man, F this Shhhhhh.”

James shared the message at a time when some insiders suggested that the 23-year veteran could be looking to move on from the Lakers — either before the 2025-26 season or at the end of it. Tyronn Lue, the head coach of the Clippers, addressed those Lakers rumors during his recent appearance on the “Club Shay Shay” podcast.

Lue Addresses the Photo

“Yeah, I saw that,” Lue said of the photo.

“I don’t even know if I can even speak on that. He’s working out at our old practice facility…. I can’t say nothing about that.”

“I don’t even know if I can speak on that. … I can’t say nothing about that.” – Ty Lue

Full episode is streaming now on Club Shay Shay YouTube! pic.twitter.com/IR9hSEuemV

— Club Shay Shay (@ClubShayShay) August 27, 2025

Lue was also asked about the possibility of James returning to the Cleveland Cavaliers, where they won a franchise-first championship together in 2016.

“Going back to Cleveland? Um, I don’t know,” Lue said, while predicting that James would most likely finish his career with the Lakers, even as he enters the 2025-26 season on an expiring contract.

Lue said he was “surprised” the Lakers did not offer James a contract extension this offseason, but could understand their rationale behind the decision.

Lakers Moving on From LeBron James?

According to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst and Ramona Shelburne, the Lakers are internally preparing for James’ inevitable departure in 2026, citing a change in priorities and a plan to pursue Nikola Jokic and/or Giannis Antetokounmpo in 2027.

“[Rich] Paul also had to formally inform the Lakers that James intended to pick up the final year of his contract after the team did not engage in any substantial discussions about extending him by a year or two, sources said, as they had done twice previously during James’ Lakers’ tenure. It was then that he let the organization know about the coming statement,” the insiders wrote, sparking the Lakers rumors.

“The Lakers had already made their statement in not offering James a contract beyond this season. It was abundantly clear that the 21-time All-Star’s time as the face of the Lakers had, for the first time, a planned end date, even if James’ record-setting NBA career did not yet.

“Whether the 2025-26 season is to be James’ final season in the NBA is up to him. But if he wanted the kind of Hollywood ending that only the Lakers can give legends of the game, the release date was set.

“Spring 2026. Luka Doncic in, LeBron James out.”

Amid the reports, Hall of Famer Charles Barkley implored James to start planning his post-Lakers career.

Read full news in source page