liverpoolecho.co.uk

Marc Guehi to Liverpool transfer twist as Oliver Glasner makes demand - 'He has to stay!'

Latest Liverpool transfer news as Marc Guehi hint emerges from Crystal Palace boss Oliver Glasner

Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi

Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi is the subject of transfer interest from Liverpool

(Image: Eddie Keogh/Getty Images)

Crystal Palace boss Oliver Glasner has personally ruled out Marc Guehi leaving the club before the transfer window closes. Liverpool have been in talks over the central defender's transfer this summer but now look more likely to try and sign him as a free agent in 2026.

The 25-year-old has attracted interest from Liverpool in the same summer he has lifted the FA Cup and Community Shield as Palace captain. So far, the two clubs have been far apart in negotiations over the defender's potential switch before the current transfer window closes on Monday evening.

In the meantime, Guehi has kept up appearances for the Eagles. On Thursday night he helped them make it through the qualifying rounds to reach the UEFA Europa Conference League's league phase.

Speaking after the qualifying second leg against Fredrikstad, Glasner said that he hoped his captain will be playing in Palace's Premier League meeting with Aston Villa and that he would stay 'until the end of the season' too.

"Everybody can see how many players we have available," the manager told News Shopper. "Everybody can see how important Marc is, honestly, I don't know, but I really deeply hope Marc will play for us at Villa Park.

"I deeply hope that Marc will play until the end of the season for us."

Such a response may not inspire hope amongst the Selhurst Park faithful that their captain has any intention of renewing his contract in the next 10 months.

Content Image

Content Image

As chairman Steve Parish has previously admitted the club may have to cash in on Guehi, Palace have also been on the lookout for potential replacements.

However, Glasner has spoken to the media after Friday's 12pm deadline to register new signings in time to be involved in this weekend's round of Premier League fixtures. Without a signing the German therefore explained why Guehi can't be allowed to join Liverpool this summer.

Via Sky Sports News, Glasner said: "From my side now it is Friday and the window closes on Monday. He has to [stay]. He has to.

"Because now it is not possible, or I think it's not possible, to find a Marc Guehi replacement who can play straight in the Premier League being a starter for Crystal Palace, being consistent, and we will see.

"The foundation of the success we had in the last couple of months - and also the foundation going into the [Europa Conference League] group stage is our defence. We had two clean sheets against Fredrikstad, now we have five games played with three clean sheets.

"We conceded just one goal in the Premier League so this is our foundation and Marc is the crucial part. He's the captain, he's an England international, he's the most Premier League experience in the back and getting now the right replacement in, I think is almost impossible."

On personal conversations with Guehi, the manager added: "I think he shows it in every game that he's focused. Again, if Marc had said at one moment 'I want to leave Crystal Palace', that it would have already happened weeks ago.

"Because of his situation - and there is no one to blame for it - if he plays one more year left then gives the signal 'I definitely wan't to leave', I think it would happen at every single club.

"So, Marc is fully committed to the team."

Given Glasner's reluctance to sell alongside the hint that his player will likely not sign a new deal, the one outcome would be Guehi signing for a new club for free in 2026.

This plays into Liverpool's hands as they were always warm to the idea of playing the waiting game, however it could open the door to rival suitors to emerge in the meantime.

Read full news in source page