manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Kobbie Mainoo's Man United 'stance' made clear as fresh bombshell transfer 'update' emerges

The latest Manchester United transfer news and gossip including updates on Antony and Kobbie Mainoo

Manchester United's Kobbie Mainoo

Manchester United's Kobbie Mainoo(Image: Nigel French/PA Wire)

The summer transfer window remains open until the New Year, and Manchester United could still make last-minute moves before Monday's 7pm deadline.

Ruben Amorim has already welcomed four new signings, but the focus now shifts to outgoings. Jadon Sancho, Antony and Tyrell Malacia are all yet to secure moves, while Alejandro Garnacho and Rasmus Hojlund are closing in on moves to Chelsea and Napoli respectively.

Off the pitch, United face Burnley at home in the Premier League this afternoon (3pm) before the first international break next month. On their return, they will head to the Etihad Stadium for the Manchester derby on September 14.

With the transfer deadline fast approaching, MEN Sport rounds up the latest headlines in and around Old Trafford.

Antony 'twist'

According to [BBC Sport's Simon Stone,](https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1961534337670652171?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2025 ) Real Betis have withdrawn their offer for Antony. [Sky Sports](https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1961500017383833656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2025 ) had previously reported that United had accepted a bid from the Spanish club and that the winger had been given permission to travel to Spain to discuss personal terms.

However, Stone adds that Betis 'cannot afford a fee' or the wages Antony is set to receive.

MEN Sport says: If accurate, this bombshell is certainly not the news United would have hoped for, with just three days remaining in the transfer window. One potential alternative could be to structure Antony's move as another loan, which might be more financially feasible for Betis while still allowing United to keep some control over the player's long-term future.

Such an arrangement could offer a compromise that works for both the club and the player, while leaving the option for a permanent deal open in the future, should finances permit.

Mainoo 'contract'

The Mirror claims Napoli have prepared a four-year contract for Kobbie Mainoo, who has reputedly informed United that he wants a permanent move to Serie A.

However, United have so far resisted the deal, wary of a repeat of Scott McTominay’s remarkable resurgence after leaving the club.

MEN Sport says: Mainoo possesses immense potential and at just 20-years-old, remains a very young talent with a high ceiling. Resisting offers decision for the midfielder until Monday's deadline would be a wise move, particularly given Amorim’s recent comments expressing a desire for him to stay.

Despite the Mirror report, the Manchester Evening News understands United will resist letting Mainoo leave before the transfer window closes on Monday night. Keeping a player of his calibre could prove crucial for the club’s long-term plans, allowing him to develop further while providing depth and creativity in midfield.

Content Image

Content Image

Here at The Manchester Evening News, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.

Make sure you don't miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.

You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day's biggest stories.

And, finally, if you would rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast, featuring The Samuel Luckhurst Show and The Midweek Debate. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.

Read full news in source page