everton.news

Newcastle join Everton in the race to sign 'outstanding' player, he wants late move - journalist

Everton are now just a matter of days away from seeing their squad locked in until January.

David Moyes has a game against Wolves in front of him on Saturday, but then full focus will return to the final days of the transfer market.

It has been a hugely positive summer at Everton, with The Friedkin Group putting their hands in their pockets in what is their first summer on Merseyside.

Moyes has been left delighted with Everton’s signings, but there will be room for more activity before the close of play on Monday.

There has been huge player turnover at Everton, and there could be even more players departing in the final hours.

With that in mind, Everton are keen to add another midfielder to their squad, with one player expected to depart before the deadline.

Brighton & Hove Albion FC v Everton FC - Premier League

Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

Newcastle United to battle Everton for Kobbie Mainoo

Everton have shown an interest in Kobbie Mainoo, who is now keen to leave Manchester United on loan.

It may not be an easy deal to pull off, with Man United rejecting Mainoo’s request to leave the club before the close of play on Monday.

MORE EVERTON STORIES

Now, according to Pete O’Rourke, Newcastle United have entered the picture in the pursuit to sign the 20-year-old midfielder.

It is believed that Mainoo is open to the possibility of leaving, with Newcastle exploring a potential deal for the player.

There have been reports claiming Mainoo has told Man United he wants to join Napoli and join his former teammate Scott McTominay.

However, Newcastle could certainly offer something Everton couldn’t in the form of Champions League football.

But the Toffees will be keen to point out that did not stop them from landing Jack Grealish who Tottenham Hotspur showed interest in.

Ruben Amorim does not want Kobbie Mainoo to leave

It has been a torrid start to the season for the Red Devils under Ruben Amorim, with no wins and a shock cup exit to their name.

The 20-year-old midfielder finds himself struggling for minutes, which has seen Mainoo demand a loan move away from Man United.

This is, after all, a player who was hailed as ‘outstanding’ following United’s FA Cup victory last year.

Amorim has shared his belief in Mainoo, but that simply has not translated into minutes in the Premier League.

Speaking to the media on Friday, Amorim doubled down on his support of the player.

“I want Kobbie to stay. He needs to fight for his place,” he said.

“We need Kobbie. [My position] is not going to change.”

Read full news in source page