chroniclelive.co.uk

Nick Woltemade drops next Newcastle United transfer hint as Eddie Howe eyes £86m Chelsea target

Our opinion on the latest Newcastle United transfer news, including updates on Nick Woltemade and Fermin Lopez

Nick Woltemade of VfB Stuttgart celebrates scoring his team's third goal during the DFB Cup Round One match between Eintracht Braunschweig and VfB Stuttgart at Eintracht-Stadion on August 26, 2025 in Braunschweig, Germany

Nick Woltemade during Stuttgart's clash against Eintracht Braunschweig

(Image: Photo by Ronny Hartmann/Getty Images)

Newcastle United will be eager to return to winning ways this weekend. The Magpies suffered a heartbreaking defeat to Liverpool on Monday night, conceding late into stoppage time.

While Eddie Howe's side left St. James' Park empty-handed, they showed great promise and determination. Even after going down to 10 men and conceding early into the second half, Newcastle had the reigning Premier League champions on the back foot for most of the tie.

The Magpies have the chance to finally win their first game of the season on Saturday night when they face Leeds United at Elland Road. The visitors may fancy their chances, but they're set to be without Anthony Gordon due to suspension.

So, with that being said, the Chronicle has rounded up the latest Newcastle transfer news.

Content Image

Content Image

Woltemade

According to Sky Sports journalist Keith Downie, Nick Woltemade will take the number 27 at Newcastle, leaving the iconic nine shirt free. Jorgen Strand Larsen and Yoane Wissa have both been heavily linked with moves to St. James' Park for a while now, sparking speculation that the Magpies have a second striker lined up ahead of Monday's deadline.

Downie's colleague in Germany, Florian Plettenberg, reckons that Woltemade has successfully passed his medical. The report claims that Newcastle and Stuttgart are now exchanging documents, hence why the striker's proposed six-year contract hasn't been signed yet.

The Chronicle says: "I think Newcastle United have something big up their sleeve. I reckon they have – or will – use the number nine shirt as an incentive in talks for a striker that's being chased by numerous clubs. In saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Magpies tried to hijack Bayern Munich's move for Nicolas Jackson..."

Newcastle eye Barcelona midfielder

According to the Spanish television programme El Chiringuito, as quoted by the Express, Newcastle are interested in signing Fermin Lopez from Barcelona before the summer transfer window shuts. The report claims that the Magpies are thought to be preparing a 'huge offer' for the 22-year-old attacking midfielder.

It's said that higher-ups at St. James' Park are willing to pay over £86m for Lopez, and they'd also be happy to quadruple his existing salary to sweeten the deal. Chelsea have also been linked with a move for the Spain international, but they now look set to sign Facundo Buonanotte on loan.

The Chronicle says: "I very much doubt Newcastle will go all in – uncontested – for Fermin Lopez like the reports suggests. That said, if the Magpies sell Alexander Isak, they'll have cash to splash."

Newcastle youngster leaves

On Friday night, Newcastle announced the departure of Garang Kuol, who has joined Sparta Prague for an undisclosed fee. An official statement on the club website reads: "Kuol completed a positive campaign with Newcastle's under-21s side during the second half of the 2024/25 season, scoring eight times in all competitions as well as being shortlisted for April's Premier League 2 Player of the Month award.

"He will now be reunited with former Under-21s lead coach Diarmuid O’Carroll, who joined Sparta Prague as a first team coach earlier this summer. Everybody at Newcastle United would like to thank Garang for his contribution to the club and wishes him well for the future."

The Chronicle says: "This looks like it will be a good move for the youngster. I'm glad he'll have a familiar face to help him settle in."

Read full news in source page