nottinghampost.com

Seven Nottingham Forest players with uncertain futures ahead of transfer window deadline

Strengthening Nuno Espirito Santo’s squad has been the key focus of the summer transfer window for Nottingham Forest.

The Reds have been busy in the market as they target another memorable season. However, they are not finished yet as they look to ensure they have sufficient resources in place to challenge on both domestic and European fronts.

But as well as bolstering their ranks, Forest have also got through a lot of work in moving players on this summer. Anthony Elanga was a significant departure, but others to have left were facing the prospect of limited minutes at the City Ground this term.

Further exits are on the cards before Monday’s 7pm deadline. Below, NottinghamshireLive takes a look at the players with question marks against them who could yet head elsewhere.

Jota Silva

A return to his Portuguese homeland could transpire for the wide man before the window closes. Sporting Lisbon are particularly keen on securing his services.

Negotiations between the two clubs have been going on for some time. A loan with a purchase option or a straight sale have both been on the table as potential options to facilitate a deal.

Jota joined the Reds 12 months ago and made 37 appearances in the Garibaldi last term. He was not in the match squad for last weekend’s 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace.

Taiwo Awoniyi

The Nigerian has done remarkably well to recover so quickly from the serious abdominal injury he sustained in May. However, he has slipped down the pecking order following the arrivals of Igor Jesus and Arnaud Kalimuendo.

The latter two got the nod to be involved at Selhurst Park, with Awoniyi not even on the bench. Forest will want to ensure they have sufficient firepower this term, but there may well be a question mark over where the former Union Berlin man figures in Nuno’s plans.

German publication Sport 1 have linked Awoniyi with a switch to Werder Bremen. A loan move is reportedly an option for the front man.

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more

Sky Sports deal

Ibrahim Sangare

Speculation about the midfielder’s future on the banks of the Trent came to light earlier this week. The reports came as something of a surprise given he had started the Reds’ opening two games of the season.

West Ham United are said to have their eye on the 27-year-old. A loan deal with a potential obligation to buy, dependent on certain clauses being met, is said to have been proposed.

Despite Sangare starting the campaign as first-choice in the centre of the pitch, it is claimed Forest are ‘open’ to letting him leave. The arrival of Douglas Luiz has seemingly paved the way for the former PSV Eindhoven man’s potential exit.

Omar Richards

Heading into the final year of his contract and not considered as an option at left-back, it seems Richards will leave the City Ground without ever really getting the opportunity to show what he is about. How things have changed since the sense of anticipation generated when he joined the club in 2022.

The defender endured a torrid time with injury after making the switch. He has spent the past couple of seasons on loan in a bid to put that injury nightmare behind him.

Despite his efforts, however, he has been unable to force his way into contention at his parent club. After Sunday’s draw at Crystal Palace, Nuno identified the 27-year-old as a player in line to move on before the window closes.

Eric da Silva Moreira

As in the case of Richards, Nuno namechecked the youngster in last Sunday’s post-match press conference as someone in need of securing game time elsewhere. Moreira is at an important stage of his development and will find it tough to get a look-in Trentside this term.

“The team needs full-backs. We have Omar Richards and Eric Moreira, who need to move and proceed their careers and be happy, because I cannot give what they need in their careers, which is minutes,” Nuno said.

Moreira is 19 and has shown raw potential whenever given an opportunity. Bologna were credited with an interest in him earlier in the window.

Get breaking Forest news sent direct to your phone

Join our Nottingham Forest WhatsApp group and get the latest breaking news, interviews and opinion sent straight to your phone, plus matchday team news and live updates of all the action. Just click here and select ‘Join Community’ to get started. The only proviso is that you must have WhatsApp on your phone to participate. No one will be able to see your personal information and you will only receive messages from the NottinghamshireLive Reds writers.

We will not spam your WhatsApp feed with constant messages, but you will receive updates from us daily with the latest Reds stories. If you later decide to opt out, just go to the name at the top of your screen and click 'Exit Group'. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions and adverts from us and our partners. If you are curious, you can click here to read our Privacy Notice.

Emmanuel Dennis

The attacker last played for the Reds in May 2023. He has had several loan stints since, spending time at Basaksehir, Watford and Blackburn Rovers.

The writing appeared to be on the wall for Dennis this time last year when he was left out of Nuno’s 25-man squad for the first half of the season. He headed to Ewood Park midway through the campaign but made only seven appearances for Rovers.

Italian outfit Cremonese have been linked. Dennis is believed to have 12 months remaining on his Forest contract but it could be that all parties agree to end his deal early.

Josh Bowler

Like Dennis, Bowler has had a number of loan moves during his Forest career. He has not made a single competitive appearance in the Garibaldi since joining the club in the summer of 2022.

Time spent at Olympiacos, Blackpool, Cardiff City, Preston North End and Luton Town has yielded mixed fortunes for the winger. Even though strengthening out wide was a priority for the Reds both last summer and this time around, he has not been part of the club’s thinking.

Finding a permanent home for the 26-year-old before the deadline would be best for all parties. Bowler is at an age where he still has plenty to give.

Who should Forest keep and who should they let go of? Click HERE to have your say

Read full news in source page