Latest Liverpool transfer news as Newcastle complete signing of Nick Woltemade amid Alexander Isak saga
Alexander Isak
The door could be open for Alexander Isak's exit after Newcastle completed a move for Nick Woltemade
Liverpool have been handed a fresh boost in their pursuit of wantaway striker Alexander Isak as Newcastle United confirmed the signing of Nick Woltemade from VfB Stuttgart. The Magpies have landed their first attacking signing since Anthony Elanga, ending their summer-long pursuit of reinforcements.
Eddie Howe's side have struggled during the transfer window, missing out on Joao Pedro, Hugo Ekitike and Benjamin Sesko, who turned down a move to the North East in favour of other teams in the Premier League. Newcastle have, though, beaten Bayern Munich to the signing of the 23-year-old with the fee in the region of £65 million.
It marks the latest twist in Isak's transfer saga after the wantaway striker doubled down on his intention to leave the Magpies following Liverpool interest.
Throughout the summer, Newcastle were said to require two attacking additions before contemplating the sale of the Swede.
In signing Woltemade, they not only have broken their transfer record - previously set by signing 25-year-old Isak, but opened the door to Liverpool signing the forward.
Magpies bos Howe said: "We're delighted to get Nick's signing over the line so quickly. He fits the profile for exactly what we have been looking to add to our attacking options.
"He's strong in a lot of areas - he has great technical ability and has proven himself to be a real threat in one of Europe's top leagues - but he's also still at an age where he has plenty of room to develop and grow here.
"Nick is a great character too and we're really pleased to welcome him to the group."
Should Arne Slot's side acquire the Sweden international, the deal is likely to exceed the British record despite reports claiming that Liverpool are unlikely to meet Newcastle's £150m price-tag.
The Times reported earlier this week that the Reds' free run at the talisman will see Liverpool remain firm on spending £120m for his services.
It was claimed in The Daily Mail on Friday that it is looking 'increasingly' likely that Isak will make the move to Anfield.
For the latest news and breaking news, visit liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/liverpool-fc. Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.
Follow us on Twitter @LivEchoLFC - the official Liverpool ECHO LFC Twitter account - for all the latest LFC news as it happens in real time.
We're also on Facebook/LiverpoolEchoLFC - your must-see LFC news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day from the Liverpool ECHO.
Listen to our podcasts by searching for 'Blood Red' wherever you get your podcasts.
Sign up for one of the Liverpool Echo's free daily and weekly newsletters on Liverpool FC by clicking here.