manunews.com

REPORT: Man United Hoping To Use Mainoo As‘Bait’As They Plot Sensational Swap Deal For£115M Target

Manchester United believe Kobbie Mainoo could be key to unlocking a move for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba, according to reports.

Stretty News claim that the Seagulls have made an “enquiry” about Mainoo‘s availability, along with Tottenham and Everton.

That has reportedly “sparked” the idea that the England international could be used as “bait” in a swap deal for Baleba.

Most Read on ManUNews.com

Earlier this summer, the Red Devils were lining up a move for the Cameroon international but their interest soon cooled after being informed about the player’s price tag.

Brighton was said to be looking for a fee close to the £115m that Chelsea paid for Moises Caicedo two years ago.

A swap deal would reduce the cost of signing Baleba

Other sources have suggested that the Red Devils value Mainoo at £45m, so that would suggest that around £60m to £70m would need to be found in addition to offering up the player in exchange.

Sales of Alejandro Garnacho and (potentially) Antony and Jadon Sancho could free up additional funds, but there are no guarantees that all the stars will align before the transfer deadline on Monday evening. It seems a long shot at the moment.

Amorim says he wants to keep Mainoo at Man United

Speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of the match against Burnley, head coach Ruben Amorim made it clear in no uncertain terms that the midfielder was going nowhere:

“I want Kobbie to say. He needs to fight for his place and we need Kobbie. That’s not going to change. I understand the players not playing in this moment are disappointed. Everyone will have the same opportunity to play. You have to fight.”

If Baleba is brought to the club, though, Amorim would probably be more willing to sanction Mainoo’s departure.

Read more about the Manchester United First Team Squad for 2025/26 here

Read full news in source page