Liverpool are, once again, the Premier League title favorites. Not only did they win the English top flight last season by a rather stunning margin in their first season with Arne Slot at the helm, but they also arguably won a very active summer 2025 Premier League transfer market.
So far, they have landed new left and right backs in Milos Kerkez and Jeremie Frimpong, a new striker to replace Darwin Nunez in Hugo Ekitike (who is already paying dividends), and the biggest crown jewel of the entire mercato in Bayer Leverkusen playmaker Florian Wirtz.
Yet the craziest thing is that the summer transfer window is far from over for Liverpool, as they have been in serious discussions to sign Alexander Isak as yet another world-class addition to their front line.
Isak, for his part, has been pushing for a transfer away from Newcastle, holding out of practices and generally making things quite uncomfortable for the Magpies, to the point where pundits like Thierry Henry and Jamie Carragher are urging Newcastle to sell Isak.
Liverpool are about to make a second record signing
Aside from the fact that Henry was a moody, world-class Premier League striker himself and Carragher would obviously love to have the league’s best striker from the 2024/25 season on Liverpool the Paramount Champions League duo have a point here.
And it looks like Isak may soon be a Liverpool player. Former Norwegian and Bundesliga star forward Jan Aage Fjortoft is now an ESPN pundit and journalist, and he has his sources in Scandinavia.
Fjortoft is reporting that a “deal is done” between Newcastle and Liverpool, and the only reason why we aren’t hearing about it yet is that the Magpies want to keep the transfer news hush-hush since they are facing Leeds United on Saturday night in the Premier League.
But Fjortoft says a deal has already been agreed and that we will be hearing about it afterwards. He says the transfer is expected to happen “very soon” and that the final fee will be around 130 million pounds, mirroring reporting from the previous day stating that Liverpool were upping their offer to 130 million pounds ahead of the Aug. 31 transfer deadline.
Liverpool have never relented in their pursuit of Isak, and the Swedish international has been pushing as hard as he can, too. At 25, Isak is in the prime of his career, and the thought of having him alongside Mohamed Salah – the best player in the Premier League for years – and Ekitike in the same front line with Cody Gakpo rotating is absolutely salivating.
The Reds are beyond loaded up for a Champions League run and Premier League title defense. Isak to Liverpool is not yet official, and Fjortoft isn’t the source who usually breaks these stories.
But he’s been on the money before for other high-profile superstars in the region, such as Erling Haaland, and it makes logical sense for a move to happen at 130 million pounds since Isak wants to leave anyway. But Liverpool fans will believe it when they see it.
Joe Soriano is the editor of The Trivela Effect and a FanSided Hall of Famer who has covered world football since 2011. He’s led top digital communities like The Real Champs (Real Madrid) and has contributed to sites covering Tottenham, Liverpool, Juventus, and Schalke. Joe’s work has appeared in ESPN, Bleacher Report, and Sports Illustrated. He also helped manage NFL Spin Zone and Daily DDT, covering the NFL and pro wrestling, respectively.